Table of contents


Visiting or exchange students from another province or country who wish to complete a course for credit must register with the appropriate school authority.

In order to capture the composition of the international student body coming into the province, and to inform related strategic planning and direction for international education, school authorities enter the country of citizenship for visiting (fee paying students) and exchange students (1-year exchanges only) from outside of Canada as part of PASI system enrolment.

Statement of achievement

Any formal statement of academic achievement required by the school of origin would be issued by Alberta Education in the form of the Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement and would reflect only the courses the student actually completed in an Alberta school.

Diploma examinations

Visiting or exchange students seeking Alberta high school credits in a diploma examination course must write a diploma examination on the same terms as any Alberta student.

Visiting or exchange students may not write diploma examinations in any language other than English or French. The English Language Arts 30-1 and English Language Arts 30-2 diploma examinations must be written in English. The Français 30-1 and French Language Arts 30-1 diploma examinations must be written in French. The diploma examinations in Social Studies 30-1, Social Studies 30-2, Mathematics 30-1, Mathematics 30-2, Biology 30, Chemistry 30, Physics 30 and Science 30 may be written in either English or French.

For more information about the writing of diploma examinations, see Administering Diploma Exams.

For information regarding fees, see Diploma Examinations Program in the Student Assessment in Senior High School section.

International education and study permits

Contact International Education Services for information about international students, exchange programs, international partnerships and other international education initiatives.

Student exchange programs

Exchange programs are a great way for students to learn how to communicate and collaborate with diverse cultures, learn more about international communities and become active global citizens. Alberta Education offers 2 formats of reciprocal short-term student exchange programs:

  1. In-person student exchange: Students from Alberta are paired with students from a partner region. Paired students will attend school together in the same location at the same time and live at each other's homes for equal periods of time.
  2. Virtual student exchange: Students from Alberta are paired with students from a partner region and participate in weekly online meetings within a give period of time during the school year.

Aside from Alberta Education student exchange programs, students can participate in an organized reciprocal student exchange program similar to what government offers. They can arrange these exchanges privately through an organization or on their own through an agreement with friends or family.

A one-to-one reciprocal student exchange involves two students who either:

  • switch places and study at one another's schools, or
  • study together in an Alberta school district and then in the exchange school for equal periods of time

Students participating in a 1-year exchange program not provided by Alberta Education must complete a Reciprocal Student Exchange Approval Form before they leave for their exchange. For more information on exchange programs, see Study Abroad.

Study permits

For information on study permits and the application process, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.