The Fair Registration Practices Act and Regulation applies to more than 70 regulatory bodies that oversee the licensing and certification of more than 170 professions, occupations and trades in Alberta.
Regulatory bodies assess an applicant’s qualifications before determining whether to grant a license or certificate.
- Find out if your profession is regulated.
- Find out if your designated occupation or trade is regulated.
- Learn how to get licensed for these professions, occupations and trades.
Learn more about the Fair Registration Practices Code.
Regulatory bodies must clearly inform applicants of registration:
Regulatory bodies must also
- explain the evaluation process
- where possible, identify supports to help applicants
- ensure assessors or someone in a decision-making role are trained
When rejecting a registration, regulatory bodies must:
- give the decision in writing and include reasons
- explain to the applicant how to access the internal review or appeal process
- have the internal review or appeal heard and reviewed by people who are not part of the original decision
Regulatory bodies must give an interim registration decision within 6 months. The interim registration decision tells an applicant the next steps of the registration process.
Regulatory bodies must let applicants know within a reasonable amount of time if their application is registered or rejected.
Regulatory bodies must report to the Minister of Advanced Education on their registration practices to make sure they are:
- procedurally fair
Reports may include a wide variety of information, including:
- requirements for registration
- how the applicants can meet registration requirements
- the number of applications received in a year
- the number of applications approved or rejected for registration
- the number of applicants who are internationally trained or trained elsewhere in Canada
- the number of internal review/appeals
- what training regulatory bodies provides to its assessors
- how long it takes a regulatory body to reach an interim registration decision or a registration decision
The Minister of Advanced Education may recommend an audit if reports show continued issues with a regulatory body.
The regulatory body is responsible for all costs associated with an audit.
The Minister of Advanced Education may issue a compliance order if a regulatory body fails to comply with the Fair Registration Practices Act. Failure to comply is an offence, and if found guilty, may result in a fine as set out in the Fair Registration Practices Act.
List of regulatory bodies
- Alberta Assessors’ Association
- Alberta Association of Architects
- Alberta Association of Landscape Architects
- Alberta Boilers Safety Association
- Alberta College of Combined Laboratory and X-Ray Technologists
- Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists
- Alberta College of Occupational Therapists
- Alberta College of Optometrists
- Alberta College of Paramedics
- Alberta College of Pharmacy
- Alberta College of Social Workers
- Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists
- Alberta Funeral Services Regulatory Board
- Alberta Human Ecology and Home Economics Association
- Alberta Institute of Agrologists
- Alberta Insurance Council
- Alberta Land Surveyors’ Association
- Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council
- Alberta Professional Outfitters Society
- Alberta Professional Planners Institute
- Alberta Securities Commission
- Alberta Shorthand Reporters Association
- Alberta Society of Professional Biologists
- Alberta Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of Alberta Forest Management Professionals
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
- Association of School Business Officials of Alberta
- Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta
- Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta
- Canadian Information Processing Society of Alberta
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta
- College of Acupuncturists of Alberta
- College of Alberta Dental Assistants
- College of Alberta Denturists
- College of Alberta Psychologists
- College of Chiropractors of Alberta
- College of Dental Surgeons of Alberta
- College of Dental Technologists of Alberta
- College of Dietitians of Alberta
- College of Hearing Aid Practitioners of Alberta
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta
- College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Alberta
- College of Midwives of Alberta
- College of Naturopathic Doctors of Alberta
- College of Opticians of Alberta
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
- College of Physiotherapists of Alberta
- College of Podiatric Physicians of Alberta
- College of Registered Dental Hygienists of Alberta
- College of Registered Nurses of Alberta
- College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta
- College of Respiratory Therapists of Alberta
- Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta
- General Insurance Council
- Horse Racing Alberta
- Institute of Certified Management Consultants of Alberta
- Insurance Adjusters’ Council
- Insurance Brokers Association of Alberta
- Law Society of Alberta
- Life Insurance Council Alberta
- Real Estate Council of Alberta
- Safety Codes Council
- Society of Local Government Managers of Alberta
- Supply Chain Management Association Alberta
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.