The Ministry of Children's Services became the Ministry of Children and Family Services on June 9, 2023. The programs and services listed below may not reflect our new structure. Information will be updated soon.
Children’s Services focuses on early intervention, child development and delivering supports and services to children, youth and families. It works to ensure that children in Alberta have the tools they need to thrive in healthy families and communities. The ministry engages with Indigenous leaders and communities, the Government of Canada, other Government of Alberta ministries, community agencies and other stakeholders.
- Alberta’s Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act requires anyone who believes a child is at risk to report their concern.
- Learn the signs of abuse and neglect, and report concerns to the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-387-KIDS.
- Foster Care is the temporary living arrangement for a child if Children's Services can’t quickly locate suitable kinship care.
- To learn more about becoming a foster caregiver, contact your local Children’s Services office or Delegated First Nation Agency.
- Alberta residents are able to adopt children in government care, as well as through private and international adoption.
- Families who adopt or obtain private guardianship of a child in permanent government care can apply for financial assistance.
- Sep 27, 2023
An external panel led by former Calgary police chief Rick Hanson will review food safety in kitchens that provide food in licensed child-care facilities across Alberta and make recommendations on how to better protect children.
- Sep 19, 2023
As hospital admissions and daily numbers of new E. coli cases continue to decline, health officials are seeing signs that the initial outbreak that affected several Calgary daycares has peaked.
- Sep 15, 2023
To support families through these challenging times, Alberta’s government will be providing families affected by the outbreak with a one-time payment of $2,000 per child.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.