Government has reduced red tape for commercial transport by updating the Commercial Vehicle Dimension and Weight Regulation, without any changes to traffic or road safety.
Government set its support to Calgary and Edmonton LRT projects in legislation (Public Transit and Green Infrastructure Project Act) and provincial funding for each fiscal year is established in regulation (Order in Council 300/2019).
- Driver’s Road Test – Information on getting any class of licence in Alberta.
- Information about the now completed Southwest Calgary Ring Road and the West Calgary Ring Road, which is under construction.
- Effective March 1, 2019, standardized, entry-level training is mandatory for all new Class 1 commercial drivers
- Driving tips and information on winter driving
- Vehicles from outside Alberta must pass an inspection before licence plates are issued
- Information on impaired driving laws, checkstops and the ignition interlock program
- Information on traffic safety issues such as pedestrian safety, impaired driving, distracted driving, seatbelt use, and speeding.
- Paying a traffic tickets and other fines has never been easier with our online fine payment system.
The ministry consists of the Department of Transportation and Economic Corridors.
The department promotes a vital and diverse economy by:
- managing transportation safety
- supporting municipalities with public transportation and water/wastewater facilities
- expanding and enhancing a well-integrated transportation system and enabling market access
- preserving and developing the provincial highway network and water management infrastructure
SafeRoads Alberta gets impaired drivers off the streets immediately by handing out significant penalties.
Commercial driver training
Learn about mandatory driver training, driver’s licence endorsements, and driver improvement courses for commercial drivers.
Commercial carrier pre-entry requirements
Enhanced requirements for new and existing commercial trucking companies are now in effect.
Driver and traffic safety
Traffic safety tips for drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users.
- Dec 8, 2023
Alberta’s government is reminding drivers to plan how they’ll get home from holiday get-togethers and celebrations this holiday season.
- Dec 4, 2023
There will be a large, slow-moving load travelling from Edmonton to Fort McMurray starting on Tuesday, Dec. 5.
- Nov 24, 2023
Construction to widen the southwest leg of Anthony Henday Drive is now complete.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.