Labour mobility within Canada

Certified workers in regulated occupations can work anywhere in Canada without further training, testing or assessments.

Explore pages in:
Labour mobility within Canada


Alberta Labour Mobility Act and Labour Mobility Regulation

Alberta’s government has proclaimed the Labour Mobility Act to enable highly skilled certified professional workers in regulated occupations from across Canada to bring their expertise to Alberta – no matter where in the country they received their credentials.

The act includes a Labour Mobility Regulation that outlines the process of following this act.

The purpose of the Labour Mobility Act and Regulation is to streamline documentation requirements to enable certified out-of-province workers to obtain a registration decision in a timely manner so they can enter Alberta’s labour force quickly to fill job vacancies.

For more information, see the Labour Mobility Act fact sheet.

Domestic Trade Agreements

The Government of Alberta has also signed 2 domestic trade agreements that support labour mobility.

Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA)

All provinces and territories have joined the federal government in signing the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA), which came into effect July 1, 2017, to make it easier for workers to access job opportunities anywhere in the country. The CFTA replaces the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT).

New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA)

The provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba entered into the New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA), which also allows for certified workers in regulated occupations to have their qualifications recognized in each of the 4 provinces.

Alberta regulatory authorities

Labour mobility provisions of both domestic trade agreements specify Alberta’s labour mobility obligations for the transfer of certified workers across provincial or territorial lines.

Regulatory authorities through their certification of out-of-province workers, play a pivotal role in facilitating the movement and certification of workers to Alberta.

Governments that signed the NWPTA and the CFTA are also required to notify each other of anticipated changes to legislation that may affect out-of-province workers coming to their province/territory to work.

This may include:

  • changes to scopes of practice
  • regulating a new occupation
  • changes to existing legislation (acts, regulations, bylaws, rules)
  • creating a new membership category

To notify regulatory authorities and/or their government departments, you will need to:

Resources for regulatory authorities

Labour mobility coordinators across Canada have developed resources to help understand labour mobility obligations. These resources include:


Connect with Alberta Labour Mobility:

Phone: 780-422-5450 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

9th floor, 108 Street Building
9942 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2J5