Important: Client ID Update

A client ID is required to hold a disposition, authorization, or approval on Crown land. Applicants who need to request a client ID or existing disposition holders who need to update their contact information must complete the Client ID Form and submit to [email protected].

Any surface work performed on public land (lands administered by the Government of Alberta (the Government) requires a survey/sketch plan along with the application/amendment/renewal form for a disposition Public Lands Act section 23(1) and the Mines and Minerals Act section 26(1)]. The survey and/or sketch plan must indicate the extent of the activity being applied for and its proximity to existing dispositions.

For additional information on public lands administered by the Government, refer to:

The purpose of this document is to provide information on the requirements for the survey/sketch plan, depending on the type of disposition and the purpose of the activity.

Legislation requirements and general information

Surveys must comply with the Surveys Act and the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association's Manual of Standard Practice and be conducted by an Alberta Land Surveyor commissioned under the Land Surveyors Act. The surveyor must hold a current annual certificate from the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association. The Director of Surveys administers the Surveys Act.

Surveys/sketches must comply with the requirements set out within this web page to be acceptable to the director [Public Lands Administration Regulation section 9(1)(a)(b) (formal disposition); section 11(1)(a)(b) (authorization); and section 13(1)(a) (approval)]. To ensure sketches meet these requirements it may be prudent to engage a professional to prepare them.


Definitions for the common terms used in managing dispositions can be found at:

Public land activity records

There are several repositories that can be used to obtain information on survey/sketch plans of activities on public land. These sources may help with the survey/sketch plan preparation required especially if the disposition or disposition reservation activity is adjacent to or bounds onto other dispositions or disposition reservations.

Electronic Transfer System (ETS)

Geographic Land Information Management and Planning System (GLIMPS) is an application used to manage and maintain surface land agreements and activities on public lands in the province of Alberta. This information is made available to the public through Electronic Transfer System (ETS).

Spatial Information System (SPINII)

Alberta Land Title Office's SPINII houses registered survey plans, title ownership, township images, survey control markers and other land information services.

To download registered survey plans, titles and other documents within Alberta visit the Alberta Registries online Spatial Information (SPINII) System website.


AltaLIS is the agent for Alberta Data Partnerships Ltd. (ADP). AltaLIS has the responsibility of making Alberta's base mapping infrastructure more available, accessible, accurate and affordable. AltaLIS is responsible for the updating and maintenance of several property datasets including:

  • Base Features
  • Cadastral
  • Disposition,
  • Title
  • Other derivative mapping products

A fee is charged for most services.

Boundary and Document Gathering Resource (BADGR)

BADGR holds image copies of all current and historical Individual Surface Activity Plans (ISAPs) on public land on behalf of the Government. BADGR distributes plans from the library. BADGR has exclusive rights to re-sell copies of the ISAPs to the Government's stakeholders. BADGR does not distribute plans registered at the Land Titles Office. Requests for plans can be made over the BADGR website.


Applicants must submit the appropriate plan type that meets the requirements for the activity and purpose of the disposition being applied for as shown in PLAR Table A1: Public Land Dispositions and PLAR Table A2 AER Public Land Dispositions (AER Table A2) (excludes Reservations). PLAR Tables A1 and A2 can be found at:

During the application stage the following plan types may be acceptable:

  • Sketch
  • Conventional or Hybrid Cadastre Survey
  • Survey or Sketch
  • Compiled Plan

Disposition reservations

Disposition reservations (DRS) are unique and used exclusively by the departments and other ministries within the Government of Alberta. Disposition reservations have many purposes ranging from fire towers to fish habitat protection areas.

Generally, the plan requirements for disposition reservations follow the requirements of those dispositions with similar purposes and activities found in PLAR Table A1. For example, a fire tower would be equivalent to a miscellaneous lease and would be required to be surveyed.

Crown land reservations

A Crown land reservation (CLR) or is not a disposition and does not grant rights to:

  • public land
  • access or occupy public land
  • the resources on the land or under it

The lands under a CLR must not be entered until a notice of decision has been made by the Government of Alberta.

For more information about Crown land reservations, see:

Survey/sketch plan types

There are 2 types of plans:

  • Survey plan which is a field survey performed by an Alberta Land Surveyor for the purpose of monumenting the boundaries of a right or interest in public land
  • Surveyor sketch plan (new) which is a sketch plan that has been prepared and signed by an Alberta Land Surveyor
  • Sketch plan which is a sketch depicting the limits/extents of an interest in public land

Survey and sketch plans signed by a registered Alberta Land Surveyor will be reviewed more efficiently, recognizing the self-regulating status of Alberta Land Surveyors, who are required to ensure their work is objective and that land surveyors are always serving Albertans’ best interests.

Survey/sketch plan content requirements

The content requirements for survey/sketch plans may vary depending on activity type being applied for. For content requirements for agricultural activities contact Geomatics.

For content requirements for activities other than agricultural activities refer to:

Disposition amendments and renewals

Generally, a survey plan is required when a disposition is being amended or renewed. PLAR Table A1 and PLAR Table A2 show these plan type requirements. Additional information regarding amendment surveys can be found at:

Digital plan submission formats and specifications

All disposition plans submitted digitally need to be confirmed through the Plan Confirmation Service (PCS) and submitted through the Electronic Disposition System (EDS).

For successful submission through PCS the standards set out in the Digital Plan Submission Standards and Procedures and Geo-referencing Guide documents must be met.


The information on these web pages has been developed to be consistent with legislation, orders in council, ministerial orders, codes of practice, treaties/agreements, policies, frameworks, strategies, plans and other approved documents which provide direction on implementing legislation. Should the legislation or any of these documents be amended, or it is found that there is a discrepancy between the information provided through these pages and legislation, the legislation shall prevail.


Connect with us for information on disposition management or questions about applying for a disposition:

Government of Alberta

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)
Toll free: 1-833-310-5689
Email: [email protected]

5th Floor, South Petroleum Plaza
9915 108 Street, NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2G8

View all public lands disposition contacts

Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) Customer Contact Centre

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 403-297-8311
Toll free: 1-855-297-8311 (in Alberta)
Fax: 403-297-7336
Email: [email protected]

Alberta Energy Regulator, Head Office
Suite 1000, 250 5 Street SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 0R4

View all AER contact options