A client ID is required to hold a disposition, authorization, or approval on Crown land. Applicants who need to request a client ID or existing disposition holders who need to update their contact information must complete the Client ID Form and submit to [email protected].

If you have a Client ID inquiry, please contact [email protected] for assistance.


Public lands dispositions are regulated by 2 pieces of legislation and administered by the Government of Alberta (the Government) and the Alberta Energy Regulator [(AER) (the agency)].

Sections from a number of other pieces of legislation have relevance, depending on the land location and activity planned.

The Government and the agency are committed to providing the public with information needed to determine if an application for a public land disposition is needed, and, if it is, provide information, tools, information technology systems and forms to help with the application process.

These webpages are intended to ensure that all parties and stakeholders have access to and use the same information for the processes and requirements defined in legislation.

Definition of public lands and ownership

Public lands administered under the Public Lands Act means land of the Crown in right of Alberta [Public Lands Act section 1(p)]

Under the Public Lands Act section 3, the Government of Alberta owns the beds and shores of most permanent naturally occurring rivers, streams, watercourses, lakes, and other water bodies in the province (shorelands). For more information, refer to:

Water body is defined in the Water Act, section (1)(ggg) as:

“…any location where water flows or is present, whether or not the flow or the presence of water is continuous, intermittent or occurs only during a flood, and includes but is not limited to wetlands and aquifers but does not include except for clause (nn) and section 99 water body that is part of an irrigation works if the irrigation works is subject to a licence and the irrigation works is owned by the licensee, unless the regulations specify that the location is included in the definition of water body.”

Public lands administration through dispositions

Administration of public lands includes controlling rights of access, surface rights and subsurface rights (mineral rights). The Government and the agency manage the use of public lands for all Albertans through the issuance of dispositions. A disposition must be obtained under the Public Lands Act for any access to or activity on public lands and in compliance with the Public Lands Administration Regulation (PLAR).

The Public Lands Act [section 1(e)] states disposition means any instrument executed pursuant to this Act, the former Act, The Provincial Lands Act, RSA 1942 c62, or the Dominion Lands Act (Canada), RSC 1927 c113, whereby:

  • any estate or interest in land of the Crown, or
  • any other right or privilege in respect of land of the Crown that is not an estate or interest in land, is or has been granted or conveyed by the Crown to any person but does not include a grant.

All public lands are administered by the Government and the Agency ’except that public land that is, by virtue of any other Act or an order of the Lieutenant Governor in Council, under the administration of another Minister of the Crown or of a Crown corporation’ [Public Lands Act section 2(2)].

Road allowances are owned by the Government. If the road allowance has been surveyed, it is administered by Transportation and Economic Corridors and in some cases a municipality. If it has not been surveyed, it is labelled a Theoretical Road Allowance and is administered by the Government under the Public Lands Act.

Public lands under the jurisdiction of other Government of Alberta departments, agencies, or governments:

  • Canadian Forces bases (except Cold Lake and Wainwright Weapons Ranges, but require appropriate Supplement documents)
  • Metis settlements
  • national parks
  • special areas
  • Treaty First Nations lands

An order-in-council was used to set aside or give an interest in Alberta public lands to Canada for purposes such as national defence. The Government and the agency do administer public lands within the Cold Lake and Wainwright Air Weapons Range, understanding the applicant must ensure through contact with Department of National Defense (Canada) for consent of that activity.


Glossary of terms

There are many words used in managing dispositions which have very specific meanings and provide information required for an application. The Government has developed definitions for the common terms used in managing dispositions.

Disposition application e-course

An online e-course has been developed to help guide users through the disposition application process from start to finish.

Disposition application information

For more information on determining if you need a public lands disposition and the application process, refer to:

Master Schedule of Standards and Conditions (MSSC)

For more information on conditions, best management practices and desired outcomes, refer to:

Pre-application requirements for formal dispositions

For more information on our application requirements, refer to:


Connect with us for information on disposition management or questions about applying for a disposition:

Government of Alberta

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)
Toll free: 1-833-310-5689
Email: [email protected]

5th Floor, South Petroleum Plaza
9915 108 Street, NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2G8

View all public lands disposition contacts

Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) Customer Contact Centre

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 403-297-8311
Toll free: 1-855-297-8311 (in Alberta)
Fax: 403-297-7336
Email: [email protected]

Alberta Energy Regulator, Head Office
Suite 1000, 250 5 Street SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 0R4

View all AER contact options

Note: The information on these webpages has been developed to be consistent with legislation, orders in council, ministerial orders, codes of practice, treaties and agreements, policies, frameworks, strategies, plans and other approved documents which provide direction on implementing legislation. Should the legislation or any of these documents be amended, or it is found that there is a discrepancy between the information provided through these pages and legislation, the legislation shall prevail.

Ensure you read the most current relevant legislation and other regulatory documents. The onus is on you, the applicant, to ensure you are in compliance with these.