Important: Client ID Update

A client ID is required to hold a disposition, authorization, or approval on Crown land. Applicants who need to request a client ID or existing disposition holders who need to update their contact information must complete the Client ID Form and submit to [email protected].

Both Forestry and Parks (the Ministry) and the Alberta Energy Regulator [(AER) (the agency)] administer public land under the same legislation, so applications must meet the same legislative requirements and complete the same application steps, regardless of which regulatory body administers it.


A disposition is required by law before entering onto or initiating any activity or work on public lands unless specified as exempt in legislation (Public Lands Act sections 20 and 47).

An application for a public lands disposition must be made to the appropriate regulatory body:

  • Public lands administered by the department includes managing agricultural, commercial, industrial activities and activities impacting the bed and shores of most permanent naturally occurring water bodies.
  • Much of our province's oil and gas activity takes place on public land. Under the Responsible Energy Development Act (REDA), the AER takes over this jurisdiction as it relates to oil, gas, oil sands, and coal activity. Specifically, AER issues, amends, maintains, and inspects all land-use dispositions, authorizations, and approvals for energy activities.

The bed and shore of all naturally occurring water bodies are under the ownership of the Government of Alberta.

If you think the application will possibly impact a water body (including the bed and shore), see the shorelands webpages and the Water Act.

If you think the application will possibly impact a wetland (with or without a bed and shore ) a Water Act Approval, Licence, or a notification under a Water Act Code of Practice may be required. Refer to the wetlands webpages and the Water Act.

If you think the application will possibly impact a watercourse, a Water Act Approval, Licence, or a Notification under a Water Act Code of Practice will most likely be required. Refer to:

Disposition classification

Dispositions are distinguished by:

  • the degree of rights conveyed by the disposition (for example, whether the disposition conveys an interest in public lands or merely a right or privilege)
  • the rights and obligations of the disposition holder
  • application and issuance requirements, timelines and processes


There are three classes of dispositions as defined in the Public Lands Administration Regulation (PLAR).

1. Formal disposition

This disposition gives the right to occupy and use the land for the purpose and term of the disposition. Application requirements are defined in section 9 of the PLAR. For more information:

2. Authorization

This disposition is for short term access of vacant public land allowing a person to enter and occupy Crown land for a specific purpose (for example, temporary field authorization). Application requirements are defined in section 11 of the PLAR. More information on authorizations is available in the:

3. Approval

This is an instrument other than a formal disposition or authorization. Approvals are issued in relation to a formal disposition or authorization. An approval is never a stand-alone disposition. Approvals are separated into two categories: administrative and operational.

An operational approval is required for certain activities and/or uses in relation to a formal disposition or authorization (for example, a temporary field authorization-approval).

An administrative approval is required for administrative changes to most formal dispositions (for example, assignments).


Dispositions are defined and administered via the following:

1. Disposition type

The disposition type defines a certain disposition’s:

  • tenure
  • maximum term length
  • general purpose
  • fees
  • general application requirements

The disposition type is represented by a 3-letter identifier and is used to track and administer that disposition.

2. Purpose

The purpose defines the general purpose of the disposition in organized categories (for example, access). The purpose links to approval standards or conditions. This ensures proper management of the disposition.

3. Activity

The activity further defines the purpose and provides a greater level of detail. The activity defines allowable activities under a purpose and may have direct links to approval standards or conditions for that activity. (For example, a major corridor which is an allowable activity under the purpose of access).

The Ministry and the agency have summary tables to help you determine what type of application you need to make and what the application requirements are for each disposition based on the purpose and type of activity.

These tables are updated periodically based on internal reviews by the Ministry and the agency, in consideration of applicant needs.

If you have an activity or purpose that is not outlined within these tables, contact the Ministry or agency to discuss the specifics of your activity or purpose. Once a decision has been made, one of the following may apply:

  1. Your activity/purpose will not be permitted and will not be authorized on public lands.
  2. Your activity/purpose may be permitted once a new purpose/activity has been created.
  3. Your activity/purpose may be an existing purpose/activity no longer available for a new application. These activities/purposes may continue on public lands as is (for example, rural school). This will be determined during the merit review of your application.


Connect with us for information on disposition management or questions about applying for a disposition:

Government of Alberta

Public Lands Disposition Management
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)
Toll free: 1-833-310-5689
Email: [email protected]

5th Floor, South Petroleum Plaza
9915 108 Street, NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2G8

View all public lands disposition contacts

Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) Customer Contact Centre

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 403-297-8311
Toll free: 1-855-297-8311 (in Alberta)
Fax: 403-297-7336
Email: [email protected]

Alberta Energy Regulator, Head Office
Suite 1000, 250 5 Street SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 0R4

View all AER contact options