Current school projects
The Alberta government works with provincial school boards to build schools in Alberta.
View Alberta Infrastructure’s list of school projects and their progress.
2019 Approved School Capital Projects (PDF, 423 KB)
2020 Approved School Capital Projects (PDF, 407 KB)
Active School Capital Projects (PDF, 494 KB)
Alberta continues to have one of the best-funded education systems in Canada, and we believe all Albertans want to continue having a strong, vibrant education system. Find out more at: Health and education.
Infrastructure maintenance and renewal
We are increasing infrastructure maintenance and renewal funding to provide much-needed upgrades to schools and create jobs that will help Albertans get back to work sooner.
- 2020-21 capital maintenance and renewal spending will double from $937 million to $1.9 billion
- Infrastructure Maintenance and Renewal funding for school divisions will increase by $250 million
Learn more about Alberta’s Capital Plan.
Education playground grant
June 2020 update
We expanded funding criteria to help 18 Alberta school divisions build 26 new playground projects. This $5 million investment comes from the existing capital budget and will help more playgrounds get built faster.
Alberta Education provides grant funding of up to $250,000 per school to support the construction of a playground for eligible projects.
School communities that wish to exceed $250,000 can use fundraising to supplement the project.
Communities can apply for the Community Facility Enhancement Program grant to upgrade or replace an existing playground.
New schools that get the Education playground grant will not be eligible for other provincial grants that support playground construction (including the Community Facility Enhancement Program grant).
Projects Eligible for Playground Funding November 2019 (PDF, 327 KB)
Projects Eligible for Playground Funding July 2020 (PDF, 260 KB)
Every year, each school board creates a list of building projects that are important to their communities for the next 3 years. This list is known as the board’s 3-year capital plan.
Government uses information from the individual school board plans to create a provincial capital plan.
Provincial capital plans consider many factors, including:
- a school’s impact on health and safety of students
- the condition of the buildings
- enrolment trends
- each school board’s 3-year capital plan
The provincial capital plan helps government decide which projects will be approved when funding is available for school projects.
If a project is approved, the local school board, Alberta Education and Alberta Infrastructure work together on the details of the project to help ensure it meets students’ needs.
School boards may also identify partners that could help enhance projects for students and the greater community.
The School Capital Manual includes policies, procedures, guidelines and references for funding and planning projects. It is updated on an ongoing basis as required.
School Capital Reporting System – User Manual (PDF, 308 KB)
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Forms and guidelines
- Forms 1 and 2: Notice of School Opening and Plaque Request (DOCX, 119 KB)
- Form 3: Statement of Final Costs (XLSX, 27 KB)
- Form 4: Leasing of School Space (DOCX, 116 KB)
- Form 8: Site Readiness (DOC, 92 KB)
- Form 9: Modular Classroom Program Request (XLSX, 109 KB)
- Form 12: VFA IMR Report Cover Sheet (XLSX, 33 KB)
- Form 14: Modular Prep Sheet (DOTM, 303 KB)
- Form 15: Modular Relocation Prep Sheet (DOTM, 314 KB)
- Form 18: Instructional Area (XLSM, 65 KB)
- Form 20: Payment Request Form (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Guidelines for Planning School Sites (PDF, 567 KB)
- Solar Technology System (PDF, 598 KB)
- Francophone Jurisdictions (PDF, 200 KB)
- Separate Jurisdictions (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Public Jurisdictions (PDF, 3.9 MB)