Public Lands Camping Pass required

A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains. For more information, visit:

For advisories, timing restrictions and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Maps of this area

Maps for the Bighorn Backcountry including the Job/Cline PLUZ, digital mapping options and smaller area-specific Allstones and Cline River Corridor maps can be found at: Bighorn Backcountry - Overview.

Area and trail information

View activity and trail information for the area:



  • Random, no-service camping is permitted. Campsites must be 100 metres from a lakeshore and no permanent camp structures are allowed.
  • Campsites and fires must be at least one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Public Land Recreation Area (PLRA) or Public Recreation Area (PRA). For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
  • Nearby, partly serviced camping is available at: Alberta Parks
  • Helicopters are not permitted to land on a lake or within 200 metres (219 yards) of the lakeshore.


 ATV Side By Side Prohibited OHV Snowmobile Prohibited Boat

Off-highway vehicles are permitted only on designated trails with the following weight and width restrictions:

  • maximum weight of 590 kg (1,300 lb)
  • maximum wheel base of 185 cm (72.8 in)
  • maximum width of 178 cm (70 in)
  • maximum tire pressure of 110 kPa (16psi)

Snowmobiles are permitted only on designated trails and designated sledding areas.

For relevant clubs, trails and other information see: Alberta Snowmobile Association.

Motorized boats are not permitted.


Hiking Cross Country Skiing Horsebackriding

Hiking is permitted.

Equestrian permitted; trails available. Horse grazing or tethering must be at least 100 metres (109.4 yards) of a lakeshore. Equestrian users may be required to provide their own feed.

Cross-country skiing is permitted.

For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.

For relevant clubs, trails and other information see: Alberta Cross-Country Skiing, Alberta TrailNet and Alberta Equestrian Federation.



Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.

Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).



Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.

About this area/PLUZ

This area was created in June 1985 to provide a network of trails for non-motorized, equestrian and motorized use. Seasonal access for motorized vehicles is permitted only on designated trails.

This area is 1378 square kilometres (532 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area

Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives


Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Rocky Mountain House Office – Phone: 403-845-8250
Alberta Environment and Parks Info Centre - Phone: 310-3773 (toll free)

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.