McLean Creek Off-Highway Vehicle PLUZ

Maps, activities and regulations for this Public Land Use Zone.

Plan your next adventure: Download Alberta’s Public Land Trail Guide.

Maps of this area

Firearm use restrictions

Within the 1 km No Camping/No Open Fires zone, there is to be no firearm discharge, except for lawfully authorized hunting purposes.

Download a map of the restriction zone:

Outdoor recreation

  • Know before you go

    • Know the skill and abilities of your group. Know the terrain and plan for natural hazards and potential emergencies.
    • Know and follow the rules of the area and for your planned activities.
    • Most areas of the McLean Creek Off-Highway Vehicle PLUZ do not have cell coverage. Carry a satellite communication device (if you have one) and a current map.
    • Check the forecast and go prepared for all weather conditions.
    • Assign someone to be your emergency contact. Let them know where you are going and when you will return. Let your emergency contact know to contact the RCMP if you miss your return check-in.
  • Practice responsible recreation

    • Respect the land by leaving it in a better condition than you found it.
    • Respect other users and share the trail. Motorized users should yield to non-motorized users and all users should yield to equestrian users.
    • Avoid travel through wet or sensitive areas whenever possible.
    • Leave all gates and fences as you found them, open or closed.
    • Washroom facilities are not available, outside of designated campgrounds.
      • For short-term washroom needs, dig a hole at least 15 cm deep and bury your waste with dirt or other organic matter. Select a site that is at least 70 m (230 feet) from a water source and away from trails. Pack out any toilet paper and hygiene products.
      • For longer or repeated needs, bring a portable toilet. Pack out and properly dispose of sewage.
  • Area and trail information

    Many of the designated trails in public land use zones are now provincial trails designated under the Trails Act. Provincial trails have rules to improve the safety of trail users and prevent loss or damage to public land.

    Learn more about provincial trails.


    • Only participate in allowed activities.
    • Motorized users must stay on the trail tread (the travel surface of the trail).
    • Keep pets under control. Some provincial trails may prohibit pets or have leash requirements.
    • Do not leave any vehicles, motorized or human powered (including bicycles, motor vehicles, camping units, etc.) unattended on the tread of a provincial trail.
    • Do not discharge a firearm (recreational target shooting) within 400 m of a provincial trail, unless hunting as defined under the Wildlife Act.

    PLUZs are not controlled for avalanches, be prepared to properly manage avalanche-related risk when travelling through this area. For more information on avalanche safety and to check avalanche hazards and terrain ratings visit Avalanche Canada.

    View information for provincial parks, protected areas and Provincial Recreation Areas in the region:

  • You are in bear country

    This area is home to wildlife including grizzly bears, black bears, cougars, coyotes and wolves. Take precautions to reduce the likelihood of a dangerous wildlife encounter.

    • Travel in groups, stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
    • Carry bear spray year-round. Make sure you know how to use it and that it is within reach.
    • Never feed or approach wildlife. Stay least 100 m from bears and 30 m from elk.
    • Find day use and camp sites in open areas away from game trails and wildlife food sources.
    • Use odour-proof containers to store anything that may attract a bear for day or overnight use. This includes food, garbage, toiletries and pet food. If camping, never take these items into your sleeping area.
    • Store all food, pet food and garbage in a bear proof container, such as a vehicle, bearproof locker or bear hang for day and overnight stays.
    • Cook food and dispose of dishwater at least 100 m (330 feet) from your sleeping area.
    • Unleashed dogs may try to play with wildlife and provoke an unwanted encounter.
  • Area rules – Know the law

    Visitors are responsible for knowing and following the rules for recreation in the McLean Creek Off-Highway Vehicle PLUZ. The Public Lands Act and Public Lands Administration Regulation guide safe and responsible use of the area.

    • Follow all posted signs, notices, publications and direction from an Enforcement Officer.
    • Pack out what you pack in. Take all garbage and waste home with you.
    • Pets are allowed to visit the PLUZ. Do not allow them to chase wildlife or other people.
    • Do not remove or damage vegetation or artifacts.
    • Do not harass wildlife.
    • Do not dump harmful materials such as sediment, pollution, gray water or sewage into any water or onto ice.

    See below for activity specific rules.


See below for details on permitted and restricted recreational activities for this area.

  • Camping

    • Serviced camping is available through: Alberta Parks.
    • There are also opportunities for random camping outside of designated campgrounds. Random camping areas are often remote, with access from rural, gravel roads or motorized recreation trails, and offer no services for campers. All random camping is first come, first served.
    • Follow signs for designated areas where camping is allowed within the PLUZ.
      • Camping is not permitted within 1 km of a public land recreation area or PRA.
    • Review the regulations and best practices for camping on public land:
      • Campers 18+ require a Public Lands Camping Pass for overnight stays. Have proof of purchase available to show an enforcement officer upon request. Campers within the 8 PRA campgrounds do not require a Public Lands Camping Pass for their visit.
      • Campers can stay in the same spot for a maximum of 14 days. After 14 days, you must move your camping unit by 1 km for at least 72 hours.
      • Keep your campsite clean. Take all garbage and waste home with you.
      • Do not camp in areas that restrict access to trails.
      • Campfires are allowed so long as there are no fire bans or restrictions in place. Check active fire hazard and bans at Alberta Fire Bans or call 1-866-394-3473.
      • Campfires must be supervised at all times and extinguished until ashes are cool to the touch before leaving your site.
      • It is recommended that campers have their own potable water source for drinking and cooking.​
  • Motorized

    Motor Bike   Quad   Quad, Side by Side   Quad Snowmobile

    Off-highway vehicles (OHV), highway licensed vehicles and snowmobiles are permitted only on trails explicitly designated for them. Specific trails are designated for specific vehicle types and sizes.

    • Only vehicles under 453.6 kg (1000 lbs) with 3 or more low pressure tires are allowed between December 1 and April 30.

    Snow vehicles are permitted.

    For more information, see:

  • Non-motorized

    Parks Icon Hiking   Horseback Riding   Cross country Skiing

    Hiking and cross-country skiing are permitted, unless otherwise indicated by signs.

    Horses are permitted unless otherwise indicated by signs. Avoid grazing horses whenever possible. When accessing water, use hard ground surfaces and avoid soft ground conditions to prevent bank erosion.

    • Do not tie horses to trees.
    • All sites must be cleaned of manure and excess feed before leaving.
    • Use weed-free feed and hay. Pack out all remaining feed.

    For regulations and best practices for non-motorized recreation on public land, see:

    For relevant clubs, trails and other information, visit:

  • Hunting


    Alberta hunting regulations apply. For current hunting regulations, visit My Wild Alberta – Hunting regulations.

  • Fishing


    Alberta fishing regulations apply. For current fishing regulations, visit My Wild Alberta – Fishing regulations.

About the area/PLUZ

Established: October 1979
Mandate: To provide an area for off-highway vehicle use.
Size: 202 square kilometres (78 square miles)
Legislation, management and planning: Familiarize yourself with current legislation and regulations:

Check out other PLUZs in Alberta.


Connect with us:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)

South Saskatchewan Region Office – Calgary
Phone: 403-297-8800

8660 Bearspaw Dam Road North West
Calgary, Alberta  T3L 1S4