Plan your next adventure: Download Alberta’s Public Land Trail Guide.

Public Lands Camping Pass required

A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

Map of this area

Download current maps for Brule Lake Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ): 

Area and trail information

View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:


  • Camping

    Public Lands Camping Pass required

    Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

    • Random, no-service, camping is permitted.
    • Campsites and fires must be a least one kilometre from a Recreation Area, Provincial Park or a roadway.
    • Nearby, partly-serviced camping is available at William A. Switzer Provincial Park.
    • Review the regulations and best practices for camping on public land.
  • Motorized

    Motocross Icon   ATV Icon   Activity Icon   Activity Icon   Activity Icon

    • Off-highway vehicles (OHV) and highway vehicles permitted only on designated trails and in designated areas. Date and trail restriction applies.
    • Further information can be found at: Motorized Recreation on Public Land.
    • Red Trail Open (Athabasca Ranch Activity Map)
      • Friday, noon until Sunday, midnight during May Long Weekend (inclusive)
      • June 25 to Monday, midnight of Labour Day Weekend (inclusive)
    • For relevant clubs, trails and other information see: Alberta TrailNet and Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Association.
    • Snowmobiles permitted only on designated trails. Vehicle Access Corridors open year-round for snow vehicles. For further information see: Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles.
  • Non-motorized

    Hiking Icon   Horsebackriding Icon   Cross Country Skiing Icon

  • Hunting

    Activity Icon

    • Alberta hunting regulations apply. Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
    • For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
  • Fishing

    Activity Icon

    Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.

About this area/PLUZ

This area was created in May 1999 to minimize conflicts between motorized users and elk during breeding season.

The area is 40 square kilometres (15.4 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning

Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives


Connect with us:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-865-8267
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)

Call 310-LAND anytime to report illegal activity, public safety issues, and enforcement concerns on Crown land (public land, provincial parks and protected areas).

Foothills Office – Hinton
3rd Floor, 131 Civic Centre Road
Hinton, Alberta  T7V 2E6