Roadside development

Policies, guidelines and permit requirements for development next to Alberta roads and highways.

Services and information

Government manages and designs locations where vehicles enter, leave and cross provincial highways.

What you need to know before placing election signs on provincial highways.

Apply for a permit for commercial filming or to hold a special event on a provincial highway in Alberta.

You need a permit to install a sign within the highway control zone in Alberta.

A permit is required for seismic operations within provincial highway rights-of-way.

Apply for a permit to cut hay for personal use within a highway right-of-way.

Requirements for telecommunications, electrical or pipeline construction or modifications within the permit area of a provincial highway.

Request and prepare proposals for legal road closures.

Read about roadside development, including policies and guidelines, who pays for improvements and permit requirements.

Government approval is required before you can build or change a development by a provincial highway.

A municipality may require dedication of a service road by caveat when a landowner subdivides land next to a provincial highway.