Permits are issued to ensure the safety of:

  • motorists travelling the provincial highway
  • workers
  • event attendees or filming participants

Applying for a permit also ensures you are aware of any scheduled construction or maintenance work during your event or filming.

You cannot film on or hold an event by a provincial highway before a permit has been issued.

Permits are subject to the:

How to apply

We will not process:

  • incomplete applications
  • special event applications received less than 30 business days before the event
  • filming applications received less than 10 business days before filming

Step 1. Contact the area’s District Office

Ask the district office contact if your event or commercial filming requires a permit.

Step 2. Complete the application form

Ensure you:

  • print your responses
  • provide all of the information requested
  • include as much detail as possible

Step 3. Submit the form

Submit the completed form to the appropriate District Office:

  • by email (in PDF format)
  • by fax
  • by mail
  • in person


For more information about highway development and permits:

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.