Hay cutting permits allow the Alberta government to track requests and coordinate activities that may occur within the highway right-of-way, such as highway:

  • construction projects
  • maintenance activities, such as mowing and vegetation control

Permit conditions

  • during haying operations, all bales and equipment within the highway right-of-way must be stored as far away from the road surface as possible
  • all operations must be completed between August 15 and September 15, depending on where you are located in the province (contact your local District Office for more information)
  • all bales and equipment must be removed from the right-of-way once haying is completed
  • due to potential hazards of working within a highway right-of-way, insurance may also be required

How to apply

Hay permits are issued free of charge.

Contact the appropriate District Office for a permit application.


For more information about highway development and permits:

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.