A permit is required for new or changes to roadside developments within the development control zone, which is:

  • 300 m from a provincial right-of-way
  • 800 m of the centerline of a highway and public road intersection

Permits are subject to:

A new online portal (RPATH) simplifies application process for roadside development permits and inquiries. See How to apply for more information.



Direct highway access is a potential safety hazard to highway users. It is only permitted if:

  • property with access through a local road, or available through a local road, does not normally qualify
  • direct access is essential, only one direct highway access per quarter section is usually permitted

If the proposal includes access to an existing or proposed new or upgraded municipal road intersection with a provincial highway, approval from the local municipality must be provided.

Minimum setback

Every proposal is assessed individually. Setbacks are determined after reviewing:

  • proposal specifics
  • future highway improvement plans

The general minimum setback for all development is 70 metres from the highway centre-line or no closer than 40 metres from the highway right-of-way boundary, except where these distances must be increased to allow for highway widening.

Site plan

Your site plan must show the:

  • setback
  • location of the existing and proposed development
  • suggested access

Building details are not required, but you must provide the proposed development’s:

  • location
  • size
  • type of building

See an example of a development site plan (PDF, 126 KB).

The plan size should be either 8 ½” x 11” or 11” x 17”. If multiple pages are submitted, the applicant must sign each page.


Placement of any trees, hedges or shrubs within 30 metres from the highway right-of-way boundary, or 60 metres from the centre line of the highway, whichever distance is greater, is prohibited without a permit.

How to apply

Step 1. Contact your local municipality

Inform your local municipality about the proposed development, and where it would be situated.

You should also ask your municipality contact to confirm if their written approval is required before you can proceed to step 2.

Step 2. Apply through the RPATH Portal

  • Applicants will require a valid:
    • Individual Alberta.ca Account or,
    • MyAlberta Digital for Business (MADI-B) account

More information about creating an Alberta.ca Account or a MADI-B account is available at Alberta.ca Account.

  • Before applicants can submit an application, they must:
    • Log in to RPATH with their Alberta.ca Account or MADI-B credentials
    • Create an RPATH profile

Log in to RPATH


Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.