Notification of seismic operations

How to apply for a permit for seismic operations within provincial highway rights-of-way.


Applicants must have a permit if conducting seismic exploration in a provincial highway right-of-way.

Safety considerations

  • Operations may be restricted to daylight hours and only in conditions of clear visibility.
  • No cables can be left on the highway overnight.
  • Parking is not permitted on the highway surface or slideslope of the highway.
  • Drainage patterns on or beside the highway cannot be altered or disturbed in any way.
  • The right-of-way cannot be damaged in any way by the exploration operation.
  • Warning signs must be installed to control and guide traffic.
  • Provisions of the Traffic Safety Act must be followed at all times.

Other safety considerations and requirements are outlined in the Guidelines for Seismic Exploration in Highway Rights-of Way.

How to apply

Step 1. Complete the application and submit via RPATH

Applications are accepted through the RPATH Portal. Sign in with your organization’s MyAlberta Digital ID for Business Account for access to RPATH.

We require at least 21 business days to review seismic exploration applications.

Ensure you:

  • select the affected area on the RPATH Portal
  • attach copies of review/responses from other agencies as needed
  • attach a copy of your site plan(s) that clearly identifies:
    • start and finish (path of investigation)
    • crossing locations
    • legal land locations
    • access locations

A department representative may contact you for more information before your application can be approved.

Step 2. Receive your permit

Once your application is approved, a copy of the approval will be available to download from the RPATH Portal. You may also be notified of site specific safety concerns identified by the department staff who reviewed your proposal. These concerns must be addressed when you conduct the exploration.

Step 3. Contact us 2 business days before exploration activity

You must give 2 business days’ notice to the Development and Planning Technologist at your District Office before scheduled operations begin.


Contact the district office for assistance on roadside development permits via RPATH Portal or Contact us.