Policies and guidelines

  • Access management

    An access is a location on a provincial highway where vehicles:

    • enter
    • leave
    • cross

    Examples include a private driveway or public road.

    We manage where highway accesses are located and their design.

    A permit is required for new accesses or proposals to increase traffic at an existing access.

    Find out more about access management guidelines.

  • Election signs

    We provide guidelines for the safe installation of election signs along provincial highways. If a sign does not comply with the guidelines, a peace officer or authorized  personnel may, without notice or compensation, remove the sign.

    Read about election signage guidelines.

  • Traffic impact assessments

    Traffic impact assessments are valuable tools for analyzing traffic generated by proposed developments.

    Traffic Impact Assessment Guidelines are available to help qualified engineers complete an assessment report on behalf of a developer or municipality.

    Read the Traffic Impact Assessment Guidelines.

  • Who pays for highway improvements

    When a new subdivision or development is proposed, it often generates new traffic that leads to a need to build road improvements.

    Government policy requires that municipalities, through the developers, fund improvements to highway connections required as a result of increased traffic caused by subdivisions and development.

    Under the Municipal Government Act, Subdivision and Development Regulation and Off-site Levies Regulation, municipalities have the ability to:

    • apply conditions to subdivisions and development
    • collect fees and off-site levies
    • receive provincial transportation grants which can be used to fund highway improvements

    Read government’s policy about who pays for highway improvements.

Permit applications

Highway permits are required for activities that occur on or near provincial highways.

See Roadside development permits for information on how to apply for a permit.

In addition to roadside development, permits are required for:

Permit applications can be filled out and sent to the district office:

  • email (in PDF format)
  • by fax
  • by mail
  • in person

Privacy disclaimer for permit applications

The information collected on permit applications is:

  • only used by staff to fulfil the purpose for which it was originally collected or for a use consistent with that purpose
  • governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
  • protected once it reaches the district office (if it is submitted electronically); however, the internet is not totally secure and we cannot ensure the information will be protected during transmission

Contact the appropriate district office if you have:

  • questions about the collection and use of your information
  • concerns about sending your permit information online


The following guidelines aim to help promote consistency among regions and to help municipalities, their staff, land developers and consultants address our needs early in the process to minimize some of the administrative red tape.

Area Structure Plans

  • This document provides guidance and advice to municipalities, planners, landowners, and others when preparing an Area Structure Plan within 1.6 kilometers of a provincial highway.

Service Road Dedication

  • A service road is a municipal road that provides legal access to adjacent areas and removes the need to directly access the highway. Service roads also enable connections between communities. This document provide guidance to municipalities and landowners while ensuring consistent application of the legislation.

Designing and Constructing Highway Access for Subdivision and Development Approvals

  • Often a new or upgraded access to a highway requires accommodating subdivisions or development approvals from local municipalities. This document provides technical guidance regarding design or construction of highway access or improvements to guide the overall process from concept to completion.


For more information about highway development and permits:

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.