A permit is required to install utility lines within the permit area of a provincial highway. Public roads other than highways are managed by municipalities.


The highway permit area for utility line installation varies depending on the highway classification:

Highway classification Permit area
Freeways 115 m from the centreline or 30 metres beyond the limit of the freeway, whichever is greater
Multi-lane highways and major 2-lane highways 60 m from the centreline or 30 m beyond the limit of the highway, whichever is greater
Minor 2-lane highway 50 metres from the centreline or 30 m beyond the limit of the highway, whichever is greater

Construction cannot take place without a valid permit.

General procedures

Applicants should follow the following procedures for application and installation:

How to apply

Step 1. Contact Alberta Transportation and Economic Corridors

Applicants should consult with us early in their planning process, in case there may already be plans to upgrade that part of the provincial highway system.

Step 2. Complete application form(s)

Download and complete the application form(s):

Incomplete applications without proper documentation will be returned without review.

Step 3. Submit the application form(s) to Alberta Transportation and Economic Corridors

Submit the completed forms to the appropriate District Office:

  • by email (in PDF format)
  • by fax
  • by mail
  • in person

It may take up to 30 business days for your application to be processed.

During construction

After you receive the permit, it is important to ensure:

  • a copy of the permit is made available for verification at the construction site at all times
  • only work covered by original permit is performed at the site
  • any additional work, variation or change from the proposal covered by the original permit requires additional approval(s)


For more information about highway development and permits:

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.