A permit is required for constructing and operating a solar power generation development within the provincial highway control zone, which is:

  • 300 m from a provincial right-of-way
  • 800 m of the centerline of a highway and public road intersection


  • You must submit a Roadside Development Application.
  • For a solar power plant with a total capacity of 1 MW or greater, you must submit a solar glare assessment report for review and approval. The solar glare assessment report will assess the potential glint and glare effects from the proposed solar panels to provincial highway users.
  • Refer to Assessment Requirements for Solar Development near Provincial Highways for guidance.

How to apply

Follow the Roadside Development Application procedure listed on the roadside development permits webpage.

Prior to submitting a solar glare assessment report, the applicant should consult the District Office to determine the acceptability of the study scope, assumptions and methodology.


For more information about highway development and permits:

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.