Public Lands Camping Pass required
A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountains. For more information, visit:
For advisories, timing restrictions and closures for this and other areas, visit:
Maps of this area
Maps for the Bighorn Backcountry including the Panther Corners PLUZ and digital mapping options can be found at: Bighorn Backcountry - Overview.
Area and trail information
View activity and trail information for the area:
- Random, no-service camping is permitted. Campsites must be 100 metres from a lakeshore and no permanent camp structures are allowed.
- Campsites and fires must be one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Public Land Recreation Area (PLRA) or Public Recreation Area (PRA). For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview. Nearby, partly serviced camping is available at: Alberta Parks.
- Helicopters are not permitted to land on a lake or within 200 metres (219 yards) of the lakeshore.
Off-highway vehicles (OHV) are not permitted.
Snow vehicles not permitted. Snow vehicle and OHV opportunities are provided in:
Equestrian permitted; trails available. Horse grazing or tethering must be at least 100 metres (109.4 yards) of a lakeshore. Equestrian users may be required to provide their own feed.
Cross-country skiing permitted.
For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.
About this area/PLUZ
This area was created in January 1985 to provide a year-round network of trails for non-motorized and equestrian use.
This area is 194 square kilometres (41.7 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area
- Bighorn Backcountry Access Management Plan
- North Saskatchewan Regional Planning Process
- Public Lands Act
- Public Lands Administration Regulation
Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives
Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks: