Area and trail information
Effective October 26, 2018, the Silvester Creek Trail in the McLean Creek PLUZ is permanently closed. See the Land and Trail Closures link below for full details.
Under the backcountry trail rehabilitation program, trails in the area may be temporarily closed due to construction. Please be aware of construction projects on trails and avoid temporary closure areas.
For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:
View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:
Maps of this area
Firearm Use Restrictions
Within the 1 km No Camping/No Open Fires zone, there is to be no firearm discharge, except for lawfully authorized hunting purposes.
Printed maps can be picked up at information kiosks in the McLean Creek Off Highway Vehicle PLUZ and at Environment and Parks offices. An online map outlining the restricted zone is also available.
For further information, see:
- Public Advisory Notice – Firearm Use Restriction Area (PDF, 190 KB)
- Firearm Use Restriction Zone Map (PDF, 304 KB)
Digital Mapping Options
For a georeferenced map of the McLean Creek Off Highway Vehicle PLUZ, see:
- McLean Creek – Georeferenced Map (PDF, 678 KB)
Disclaimer: The above georeferenced map contains interactive information that can only be accessed through specific reader apps.
In order to access this information the following app can be used:
This app is only compatible with Apple iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, as well as Windows Phones. It cannot be used on desktops and laptops.
Please note that this map can still be viewed with a standard PDF viewer, but the additional enhancements will not be functional.
- Random, no-service camping is permitted.
- Respect the Land: Camping
- Campsites and fires must be one kilometre (0.6miles) from a Provincial Recreation Area or roadway
- Serviced Camping is available through:
Off-highway vehicles (OHV) permitted on existing trails unless otherwise indicated.
- Only vehicles under 453.6 kilograms (1000 pounds) with three or more low pressure tires are allowed between December 1 and April 30.
For relevant clubs, trails and other information:
Snow vehicles permitted.
Cross-country skiing permitted.
Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at:
Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at:
About this PLUZ
Established in October, 1979 to provide an area for off-highway vehicle (OHV) use.
PLUZ is 202 square kilometres (78 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning relevant to the area:
- Forests Act - Forest Land Use and Management Regulations
- Public Lands Administration Regulation
- South Saskatchewan Regional Plan
- Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP)
- Report a Poacher
- South Saskatchewan Region Office – Calgary
8660 Bearspaw Dam Rd NW
Calgary, AB T3L 1S4
Blairmore, AB T0K 0E0
Phone: 403 297-8800
- Wildfire Information