Public Lands Camping Pass required

A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains. For more information, visit:

For advisories, timing restrictions and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Maps of this Area

Maps for the Bighorn Backcountry including the Kiska/Willson PLUZ, digital mapping options and smaller area-specific Allstones, Bighorn Dam, Cline River Corridor, Cutoff Creek, Nordegg, Shunda/Goldeye and Tershishner maps can be found at: Bighorn Backcountry - Overview.

Area and trail information

View activity and trail information for the area:



  • Random no-service, camping is permitted. Campsites must be 100 metres from a lakeshore and no permanent camp structures are allowed.
  • Campsites and fires must be one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Public Land Recreation Area (PLRA) or Public Recreation Area (PRA). For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview. Nearby, partly serviced camping is available through: Alberta Parks.
  • Helicopters are not permitted to land on a lake or within 200 metres (219 yards) of the lakeshore.


Motocross ATV Side By Side Prohibited OHV Snowmobile Prohibited Boat

Off-highway vehicles (OHV) permitted only on designated trails with the following weight and width restrictions:

  • maximum weight of 590 kilograms (1,300 pounds)
  • maximum wheel base of 185 centimetres (72.8 inches)
  • maximum width of 178 centimetres (70 inches)
  • maximum tire pressure of 110 kPa (16psi)

For relevant clubs, trails and other information see: Alberta TrailNet, Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Association and Alberta Snowmobile Association.

Snow vehicles permitted only on designated trails.

Motorized boats are not permitted.


Hiking Cross Country Skiing Horsebackriding

Hiking permitted.

Equestrian permitted; trails available. Horse grazing or tethering must be at least 100 metres (109.4 yards) of a lakeshore. Equestrian users may be required to provide their own feed.

Cross-country skiing permitted.

For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.

For relevant clubs, trails and other information see, Alberta Cross-Country Skiing, Alberta TrailNet and Alberta Equestrian Federation.



Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.

Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).



Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.

About this area/PLUZ

This area was created in October 2002 to provide a network of trails for motorized, non-motorized and equestrian use. Seasonal access for motorized vehicles is permitted only on designated trails.

This area is 1,023 square kilometres (395 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area

Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives


Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Rocky Mountain House Office – Phone: 403-845-8250
Alberta Environment and Parks Info Centre - Phone: 310-3773 (toll free)

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.