Due to the high to extreme fire danger in many parts of the province, Albertans are strongly advised to restrict outdoor recreation on public land in northwest Alberta. Review current public land restrictions, closures and advisories at:

Wildfire emergency updates

Kananaskis Conservation Pass required

A Kananaskis Conservation Pass is required to access the Kananaskis Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) with your vehicle. For more information, see:

For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Maps of this area

Download current maps of the Kananaskis Country Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ):

The georeferenced map of this area is intended for use with the Avenza app on a mobile device. This app is only compatible with Apple iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, as well as Windows phones. It cannot be used on desktops and laptops. For more details, visit:

This map can still be viewed with a standard PDF viewer, but the georeferenced enhancements will not be functional.

Firearm use restrictions

Within the 1 km No Camping/No Open Fires zone, there is to be no firearm discharge, except for lawfully authorized hunting purposes.

Printed maps can be picked up at information kiosks in the Kananaskis Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) and at Alberta government offices. An online map outlining the restricted zone is also available.

For further information, see:


First Nations

  • Access and traditional land-use opportunities will continue for Aboriginal peoples.

Area and trail information

View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:

About this area/PLUZ

Established: October 1979
Mandate: The Kananaskis PLUZ provides a range of recreation experiences for motorized and non-motorized users.
Size: 1,128 square kilometres (435 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning: Familiarize yourself with current legislation and regulations:
Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives: For current information on stewardship projects and citizen science opportunities, see:



Alberta BearSmart Program – Overview


Report a Poacher

Alberta Wildfire


Connect with us:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
South Saskatchewan Region Office – Calgary
Phone: 403-297-8800
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)

Call 310-LAND anytime to report illegal activity, public safety issues, and enforcement concerns on Crown land (public land, provincial parks and protected areas).

8660 Bearspaw Dam Road NW
Calgary, Alberta  T3L 1S4

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.