For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:
Maps of this area
Maps for the Kananaskis Country Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) can be found at: PLUZ Trail Maps of Kananaskis Country and Kananaskis Country Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) Map.
Digital Mapping Options
For a georeferenced map of the McLean Creek Off Highway Vehicle PLUZ within Kananaskis Country, see: McLean Creek Off Highway Vehicle PLUZ.
Disclaimer: The above georeferenced map contains interactive information that can only be accessed through specific reader apps.
In order to access this information the following app can be used: PDF Maps – Avenza Systems Inc.
This app is only compatible with Apple iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, as well as Windows Phones. It cannot be used on desktops and laptops.
Please note that this map can still be viewed with a standard PDF viewer, but the additional enhancements will not be functional.
Area and trail information
Under the backcountry trail rehabilitation program, trails in the area may be temporarily closed due to construction. Please be aware of construction projects on trails and avoid temporary closure areas.
View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:
Firearm use restrictions
Within the 1 km No Camping/No Open Fires zone, there is to be no firearm discharge, except for lawfully authorized hunting purposes.
Printed maps can be picked up at information kiosks in the Kananaskis Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) and at Environment and Parks offices. An online map outlining the restricted zone is also available.
For further information, see:
- Public Advisory Notice – Firearm Use Restriction Area (PDF, 210 KB)
- Firearm Use Restriction Zone Map
- Random, no-service camping is permitted. For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
- Campsites and fires must be one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Provincial Recreation Area.
- Serviced camping is available through: Alberta Parks.
Off-highway vehicles (OHV) not permitted.
McLean Creek PLUZ provides OHV opportunities: McLean Creek PLUZ.
Snow vehicles not permitted. Snow vehicle opportunities are provided in:
- Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle PLUZ
- Elbow Loop Snow Vehicle Trail
- McLean Creek Off-Highway Vehicle PLUZ
- Sibbald Snow Vehicle PLUZ
- Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles
Equestrian permitted only on designated equestrian trails.
Cross-country skiing permitted.
For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.
- Access and traditional land-use opportunities will continue for Aboriginal peoples.
About this area/PLUZ
Established in October, 1979 to prevent conflicts between motorized and non-motorized recreational activities.
This PLUZ is 1,127.62 square kilometres (435.4 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning relevant to the area
- Forest Land Use and Management Regulations
- Public Lands Administration Regulation
- South Saskatchewan Regional Plan
Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks:
8660 Bearspaw Dam Road NW
Calgary, Alberta T3L 1S4