Due to the high to extreme fire danger in many parts of the province, Albertans are strongly advised to restrict outdoor recreation on public land in northwest Alberta. Review current public land restrictions, closures and advisories at:

Wildfire emergency updates

Public Lands Camping Pass required

A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Maps of this area

Download current maps for Brule Lake Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ):

Area and trail information

View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:


  • Camping

    Public Lands Camping Pass required

    Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

    • Random, no-service, camping is permitted.
    • Campsites and fires must be a least one kilometre from a Recreation Area, Provincial Park or a roadway.
    • Nearby, partly-serviced camping is available at Wildhorse Lake and Kinky Lake Alberta Parks.
    • Review the regulations and best practices for camping on public land.
  • Motorized

    Motocross Icon ATV Icon Activity Icon Snowmobile Icon

  • Non-motorized

    Hiking Icon snowmobile Icon Cross Country Skiing Icon

  • Hunting

    Hunting Icon

    • Alberta hunting regulations apply. Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
    • For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
  • Fishing


    Fishing Icon

    • Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.

About this area/PLUZ

This area was created in May 1999 to support elk populations in the area and minimize conflicts between motorized users and elk.

This area is 15 square kilometres (5.8 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning

Stewardship and biodiversity initiatives


Connect with us:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Foothills Office – Hinton
Phone: 780-865-8267
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)

Call 310-LAND anytime to report illegal activity, public safety issues, and enforcement concerns on Crown land (public land, provincial parks and protected areas).

3rd Floor, 131 Civic Centre Road
Hinton, Alberta  T7V 2E6

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.