For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:
Maps of this area
A map for the Blackstone/Wapiabi Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) can be found at: Bighorn Backcountry: Blackstone/Wapiabi PLUZ.
Additional maps for the Bighorn Backcountry and the Blackstone/Wapiabi PLUZ, including a digital mapping option for the entire Bighorn Backcountry PLUZ can be found at: Bighorn Backcountry - Overview.
Area and trail information
View activity and trail information for the area:
- Random, no-service, camping is permitted. Campsites must be 100 metres from a lakeshore.
- Campsites and fires must be one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Recreation Area, Provincial Park or a roadway. For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
Off-highway vehicles (OHV) are not permitted.
Snowmobiles are not permitted. For further information see: Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles.
Motorized boats are not permitted.
Equestrian permitted; trails available. Horse grazing or tethering must be at least 100 metres (109.4 yards) of a lakeshore. Equestrian users may be required to provide their own feed.
Cross-country skiing permitted.
For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations
About this area/PLUZ
Established in September, 1986 to designate separate areas for motorized and non-motorized recreational activity.
This area is 486 square kilometres (188 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area
- Bighorn Backcountry Access Management Plan
- North Saskatchewan Regional Planning Process
- Public Lands Act
- Public Lands Administration Regulation
Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives:
- Bighorn Backcountry – Monitoring
- Bighorn Backcountry Recreational Access Recommendations
- Industrial Access Recommendations for the Blackstone / Wapiabi PLUZ
To connect with Alberta Environment and Parks: