- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:
Maps of this area
Maps for the Bighorn Backcountry including the Blackstone/Wapiabi PLUZ and digital mapping options can be found at: Bighorn Backcountry - Overview.
Area and trail information
View activity and trail information for the area:
- Random, no-service camping is permitted. Campsites must be 100 metres from a lakeshore and no permanent camp structures are allowed.
- Campsites and fires must be one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Public Land Recreation Area (PLRA) or Public Recreation Area (PRA). For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
- Helicopters are not permitted to land on a lake or within 200 metres (219 yards) of the lakeshore.
Off-highway vehicles (OHV) are not permitted.
Snowmobiles are not permitted. Snow vehicle and OHV opportunities are provided in:
Motorized boats are not permitted.
Equestrian permitted; trails available. Horse grazing or tethering must be at least 100 metres (109.4 yards) of a lakeshore. Equestrian users may be required to provide their own feed.
Cross-country skiing permitted.
For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations
About this area/PLUZ
Established in September 1986 to designate a network of trails for non-motorized and equestrian use.
This area is 486 square kilometres (188 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area
- Bighorn Backcountry Access Management Plan
- North Saskatchewan Regional Planning Process
- Public Lands Act
- Public Lands Administration Regulation
Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives:
- Bighorn Backcountry – Monitoring
- Bighorn Backcountry Recreational Access Recommendations
- Industrial Access Recommendations for the Blackstone / Wapiabi PLUZ
Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks: