Due to the high to extreme fire danger in many parts of the province, Albertans are strongly advised to restrict outdoor recreation on public land in northwest Alberta. Review current public land restrictions, closures and advisories at:

Wildfire emergency updates

For advisories, timing restrictions and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Maps of this area

Download current maps of the Bighorn Backcountry including the Upper Clearwater/Ram PLUZ, digital mapping options and smaller, area-specific Cutoff Creek and Hummingbird maps at: Bighorn Backcountry - Overview.

Area and trail information

View activity and trail information for the area:


  • Camping

    Public Lands Camping Pass required

    A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains. Random, no-service camping is permitted.

    • Campsites must be 100 metres from a lakeshore.
    • Campsites and fires must be one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Public Land Recreation Area (PLRA) or Provincial Recreation Area (PRA).
    • Review the regulations and best practices for camping on public land.
    • Nearby, partly serviced camping is available at: Alberta Parks.
    • Helicopters are not permitted to land on a lake or within 200 metres (219 yards) of the lakeshore.
  • Motorized

    Motocross ATV Side By Side Prohibited OHV Snowmobile Prohibited Boat

    • Off-highway vehicles (OHV) permitted only on designated trails with the following weight and width restrictions:
      • maximum weight of 590 kilograms (1,300 pounds)
      • maximum wheel base of 185 centimetres (72.8 inches)
      • maximum width of 178 centimetres (70 inches)
      • maximum tire pressure of 110 kPa (16psi)
    • For relevant clubs, trails and other information see: Alberta TrailNetAlberta Off Highway Vehicle Association and Alberta Snowmobile Association.
    • Snow vehicles permitted only on designated trails and in sledding areas.
    • Motorized boats are not permitted.
    • Further information can be found at: Motorized Recreation on Public Land.
  • Non-motorized

    Hiking Horsebackriding Cross Country Skiing

  • Hunting


    • Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
    • Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
  • Fishing


    • Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.

About this area/PLUZ

This area was established in January 1985 to provide year-round opportunities for motorized, non-motorized and equestrian recreation. Seasonal access for motorized is permitted only on designated trails.

This area is 1907 square kilometres (736 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning

Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives


Connect with us:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Rocky Mountain House Office
Phone: 403-845-8250
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)

Call 310-LAND anytime to report illegal activity, public safety issues, and enforcement concerns on Crown land (public land, provincial parks and protected areas).


Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.