Roadside development

Policies, guidelines and permit requirements for development next to Alberta roads and highways.


Roadside development provides up-to-date information on how to legally apply for and proceed with road closures, service road agreements and permits for activities on or near a provincial highway. Go to Apply for a permit for requirements, resources and application instructions. Permit applications can then be filled out and sent to the District Office through the Roadside Planning and Application Tracking Hub (RPATH).

In focus

Read about roadside development, including policies and guidelines, who pays for improvements and permit requirements.

This online portal streamlines the application processes for roadside development.

Request and prepare proposals for legal road closures.

A municipality may require dedication of a service road by caveat when a landowner subdivides land next to a provincial highway.


Contact the district office for assistance on roadside development permits via RPATH Portal or Contact us.