Except for minor 2-lane highways, you must apply for a permit for all proposed signs, including sign information changes, within:

  • 300 m of a provincial right-of-way (existing highway limits)
  • 800 m of the centerline of a highway and public road intersection

Permits are issued by Alberta Transportation and are subject to:

You cannot install or change a sign by a provincial highway before a permit has been issued to you by Alberta Transportation.

Ineligible sign types

 Permits will not be provided for signs that:

  • display an intermittent flashing, rotating or moving light
  • are floodlit, which could distract drivers
  • have any moving or rotating parts
  • imitate the wording of a standard or commonly used highway traffic signs, such as "Stop", "Stop Ahead" or "Yield"
  • imitate or resemble a traffic control device, such as traffic signal or traffic signs
  • display commercial advertising, other than for the purpose of identifying a business or guiding traffic
  • use red or yellow background

Permits are also not granted for any associated yard lights, area lighting and other lights that, in the opinion of Alberta Transportation, are excessively distracting to the public or create a traffic hazard.

Sign recommendations

Signs should follow these general guidelines to improve their visibility and readability:

  • made of reflective material to help ensure they are visible at night
  • be developed professionally, using conventional exterior sign materials
  • use a minimum letter size of at least 15 cm
  • use of readable letter styles for improved legibility

Election signs

Alberta Transportation provides guidelines for the safe installation of election signs along provincial highways. If a sign does not comply with the guidelines, a peace officer or person authorized by Alberta Transportation may, without notice or compensation, remove the sign.

Read about election sign guidelines.

How to apply

Step 1. Contact the area Transportation District Office

Ask the district office contact if your sign requires a permit.

Step 2. Complete the application form

Ensure you:

  • print your responses
  • describe the proposed sign in detail
  • have your application signed by your organization’s owner or authorized agent (if applicable)
  • attach:
    • site plan (8-1/2 x 11” pages) (PDF, 245 KB) showing proposed sign setback and distance from the highway
    • diagram that includes the sign’s:
      • dimensions
      • layout, including wording and lettering
      • background colour

Step 3. Submit the form to Alberta Transportation

Return your completed form and its attachments to the appropriate Alberta Transportation District Office.


For more information about installing signs within a highway control zone:

Athabasca District Office

Phone: 780-675-2624

Main Floor, Jewell Building
3603 53 Street
Athabasca, Alberta  T9S 1A9
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Calgary District Office

Phone: 403-297-6311

2nd Floor, Willowglen Business Park
803 Manning Road NE
Calgary, Alberta  T2E 7M8
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Edson District Office

Phone: 780-723-8250

2nd Floor, Provincial Building
111 54 Street
Edson, Alberta  T7E 1T2
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Fort McMurray District Office

Phone: 780-743-7376

6th Floor, West Tower
9915 Franklin Avenue
Fort McMurray, Alberta  T9H 2K4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Grande Prairie District Office

Phone: 780-538-5310

1st Floor, Provincial Building
10320 99 Street
Grande Prairie, Alberta  T8V 6J4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Hanna District Office

Phone: 403-854-5550

2nd Floor, Provincial Building
401 Centre Street
Hanna, Alberta  T0J 1P0
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Lethbridge District Office

Phone: 403-381-5426

3rd Floor, Administration Building
909 3 Avenue North
Lethbridge, Alberta  T1H 0H5
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Peace River District Office

Phone: 780-624-6280

3rd Floor, Provincial Building
Bag 900, Box 29
9621 96 Avenue
Peace River, Alberta  T8S 1T4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Red Deer District Office

Phone: 403-340-5166

4th Floor, Provincial Building
4920 51 Street
Red Deer, Alberta  T4N 6K8
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Stony Plain District Office

Phone: 780-963-5711

4711 44 Avenue
Stony Plain, Alberta  T7Z 1N4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Vermilion District Office

Phone: 780-853-8178

2nd Floor, Provincial Building
PO Box 28
4701 52 Street
Vermilion, Alberta  T9X 1J9
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions