Kananaskis Conservation Pass required

A Kananaskis Conservation Pass is required to access Kananaskis Country and the Bow Valley Corridor with your vehicle. For more information, see:

For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Maps of this area

Maps for the Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle Area Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) can be found at: PLUZ Trail Maps of Kananaskis Country, Cataract Creek PLUZ Map and Cataract Creek Snowmobile Map.

Area and trail information

Under the backcountry trail rehabilitation program, trails in the area may be temporarily closed due to construction. Please be aware of construction projects on trails and avoid temporary closure areas.

View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:



  • Random, no-service camping is permitted.
  • Campsites and fires must be a least one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Provincial Recreation Area, Provincial Park or a roadway. For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.


Prohibited Motocross Prohibited ATV Prohibited Side By Side Prohibited OHV Snowmobile

Off-highway vehicles (OHV) are not permitted.

 Snowmobiles permitted only on designated trails. For further information see: Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles.


Parks Icon Hiking Horseback Riding Cross country Skiing

Hiking permitted.

Equestrian permitted.

Cross-country skiing permitted.

For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.



Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations

Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).



Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations

About this area/PLUZ

This area was created in October, 1979 to provide snowmobiling opportunities in the Cataract Creek area.

This area is 503 square kilometres (194.2 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area

Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives

  • There are currently no initiatives at this time.


Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Southern Rockies Area Office – Blairmore
Phone: 403-562-3210
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)

Call 310-LAND anytime to report illegal activity, public safety issues, and enforcement concerns on Crown land (public land, provincial parks and protected areas).

11901 19 Avenue
Blairmore, Alberta  T0K 0E0

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.