For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:
Map of this Area
Download a map of the Whitecourt Sandhills Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ):
Area and trail information
View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:
- Random, no-service, camping is permitted.
- Campsites and fires must be a least one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Recreation Area, Provincial Park or a roadway. For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
- Off-highway vehicles (OHV) are not permitted.
- Snowmobiles permitted only on designated trails from December 1 to March 1. For further information see: Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles.
- Hiking permitted.
- Equestrian permitted. Horse grazing or tethering must be 100 metres from a lakeshore.
- Cross-country skiing permitted.
- Review the regulations and best practices for non-motorized recreation on public land.
- For relevant clubs, trails and other information see, Alberta Cross-Country Skiing and Alberta Equestrian Federation.
- Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
- Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
- Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.
About this area/PLUZ
This area was created in May 1999 to provide opportunities for non-motorized recreation and eliminate conflicts with summer motorized users.
This area is 27 square kilometres (10.4 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning
- Familiarize yourself with current legislation and regulations by visiting Public Land Enforcement.
- Upper Athabasca Regional Planning Process
Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives
- Check out the Outdoor Recreation Channel for current information on stewardship projects and citizen science opportunities.
Connect with us:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Regional Area Office – Whitecourt
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)
Call 310-LAND anytime to report illegal activity, public safety issues, and enforcement concerns on Crown land (public land, provincial parks and protected areas).
1st Floor, 5020 52 Avenue
Whitecourt, Alberta T7S 1N2
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.