When land next to a provincial highway is subdivided, the municipality may require as a condition of subdivision that the landowner register a caveat and service road agreement with Alberta Transportation with the subdivision plan.
Service road agreements and caveats are subject to Sections 14-16 of the Subdivision and Development Regulation.
Submission process and templates
A surveyor registered with the Alberta Land Surveyor’s Association must prepare a plan of survey for the subdivision and the service road agreement.
The surveyor will submit all documents required for registration of the subdivision to the Registrar, Alberta Land Titles on the landowner’s behalf.
The surveyor will complete the following steps.
Step 1. Contact Alberta Transportation (optional)
If you have any questions about the requirement to protect legal access to the provincial transportation network:
- use the Roadside Management Classification Map to explore which type of highway network your proposed development is on or nearby
- find your district by checking the Alberta Transportation Region and District Offices map (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- use the Contact List (PDF, 170 KB) to find the Alberta Transportation District Office that is closest to your community
Step 2. Complete the Service Road Agreement template
For non-corporate landowners (individual, joint-owner, tenants-in-common), download and complete the Service Road Agreement – Individuals (DOC, 45 KB) template.
For corporations, download and complete the Service Road Agreement – Corporations (DOC, 46 KB) template:
- use the <F11> key to move between required fields
- copy and paste owner information from the title view in SPIN II (Land Titles) to ensure it transfers correctly and include ownership type, if specified (for example, as joint tenants)
- if there has been a change of address, advise us when the Road Agreement is submitted for review
- a Notice of Change of Address for Service Form (PDF, 33 KB) must be completed and submitted with the registration package sent to Land Titles
Print 3 copies of the Service Road Agreement as a single sided document.
Step 3. Submit the agreement for review
The landowner signs 3 copies of the Service Road Agreement when they are signing other documents related to the subdivision.
Send the signed Service Road Agreements by mail or courier to:
Road Closure Coordinator
2nd Floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Email the following information to [email protected]:
- electronic copy of the service road agreement
- electronic copy of the subdivision plan, including the location of the service road and any newly-created lots
- electronic copy of the municipal conditions of subdivision
- information on any changes to ownership or address shown on the service road agreement not shown on the current title for the land being subdivided
The Road Closure Coordinator reviews the service road agreement and draft plan. For complex agreements and plans, an additional review may be required by our regional office.
If changes are required on Page 1 of the Service Road Agreement, Head Office will request the surveyor provide a revised Page 1 electronically to [email protected]. Head Office prints the revised page and attaches it to the signature page (page 2).
The Road Closure Coordinator prepares the Caveat, has the documents signed, and then returns the Caveat and 2 copies of the Service Road Agreement and a Document Registration Request (DRR) – for registration of the caveat and service road agreement – to the surveyor for registration at Alberta Land Titles with the subdivision documents.
The DRR expires 3 months from the date of issue. We provide the surveyor with a revised DRR upon receipt of an email request to [email protected] if the original expires before the subdivision is registered.
Please email [email protected] if the caveat is registered on the surveyor’s or lawyer’s DRR.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.