Current school projects
The Alberta government works with provincial school boards to build schools in Alberta.
2023 Approved School Capital Projects (PDF, 110 KB)
2022 Approved School Capital Projects (PDF, 420 KB)
2021 Approved School Capital Projects (PDF, 430 KB)
2020 Approved School Capital Projects (PDF, 407 KB)
2019 Approved School Capital Projects (PDF, 423 KB)
Every year, each school board creates a list of building projects that are important to their communities for the next 3 years. This list is known as the board’s 3-year capital plan.
Government uses information from the individual school board plans to create a provincial capital plan.
Provincial capital plans consider many factors, including:
- a school’s impact on health and safety of students
- the condition of the buildings
- enrolment trends
- each school board’s 3-year capital plan
The provincial capital plan helps government decide which projects will be approved when funding is available for school projects.
If a project is approved, the local school board, Alberta Education and Alberta Infrastructure work together on the details of the project to help ensure it meets students’ needs.
School boards may also identify partners that could help enhance projects for students and the greater community.
Investing in school projects (Budget 2023)
This process outlines the activities that school authorities need to complete in order to ensure they can proceed to construction in a timely manner when construction funding is provided.
School authorities are not required to complete every stage before going to construction funding. Depending on readiness and ability to complete the required steps prior to construction, projects may accelerate at different rates. For example, if a school authority completes both pre-planning and planning stages at the same time, they could move from pre-planning straight through to design or full.
If school authorities are able to progress early design elements while in planning, they could move from planning to a full funding approval.
View large infographic (PDF, 975 KB)
The School Capital Manual includes policies, procedures, guidelines and references for funding and planning projects. It is updated on an ongoing basis as required.
School Capital Reporting System – User Manual (PDF, 319 KB)
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.
Forms and guidelines
- Form 1: Notice of School Opening and Plaque Request (PDF, 107 KB)
- Form 3: Statement of Final Costs (XLSX, 27 KB)
- Form 4: Reporting of Designated Space in School Buildings (XLSM, 117 KB)
- Guidelines for site work for projects to be submitted within the three year capital plan (DOCX, 68 KB)
- Form 9: Modular Classroom Program Request (XLSX, 591 KB)
- Form 12: Maintenance and Renewal SFC – report-cover-sheet (XLSX, 37 KB)
- Form 13: Lease Request Form (XLSM, 58 KB)
- Form 14: Modular Prep Sheet (DOCX, 227 KB)
- Form 15: Modular Relocation Prep Sheet (DOTX, 238 KB)
- Form 18: Instructional Area (XLSX, 631 KB)
- Form 19: Relocation of Outreach Programs K-12 Facilities (XLSM, 117 KB)
- Form 20: Payment Request Form (PDF, 3.0 MB)
- Technical design requirements for Alberta infrastructure facilities (PDF, 19 MB)
- Solar Energy for Public buildings in Alberta (PDF, 586 KB)
- Francophone Jurisdictions (PDF, 214 KB)
- Separate Jurisdictions (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Public Jurisdictions (PDF, 3.9 MB)
Memorandum of Understanding
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.