Hay cutting permits allow the Alberta government to track requests and coordinate activities that may occur within the highway right-of-way, such as highway:
- construction projects
- maintenance activities, such as mowing and vegetation control
- during haying operations, all bales and equipment within the highway right-of-way must be stored as far away from the road surface as possible
- all operations must be completed between August 15 and September 15, depending on where you are located in the province (contact your local Alberta Transportation District Office for more information )
- all bales and equipment must be removed from the right-of-way once haying is completed
- due to potential hazards of working within a highway right-of-way, insurance may also be required
How to apply
Hay permits are issued free of charge.
Contact the appropriate Alberta Transportation District Office for a permit application.
For more information about highway development and permits:
- use the Roadside Management Classification Map to explore which type of highway network your proposed development is on or nearby
- find your district by checking the Alberta Transportation Region and District Offices map (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- find an Alberta Transportation District Office (PDF, 170 KB) closest to your community