Hay cutting permits allow the Alberta government to track requests and coordinate activities that may occur within the highway right-of-way, such as highway:
- construction projects
- maintenance activities, such as mowing and vegetation control
- during haying operations, all bales and equipment within the highway right-of-way must be stored as far away from the road surface as possible
- all operations must be completed between August 15 and September 15, depending on where you are located in the province (contact your local Alberta Transportation District Office for more information )
- all bales and equipment must be removed from the right-of-way once haying is completed
- due to potential hazards of working within a highway right-of-way, insurance may also be required
How to apply
Hay permits are issued free of charge.
Contact the appropriate Alberta Transportation District Office for a permit application.
For more information about highway development and permits:
- use the Roadside Management Classification Map to explore which type of highway network your proposed development is on or nearby
- find your district by checking the Alberta Transportation Region and District Offices map (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- find an Alberta Transportation District Office (PDF, 81 KB) closest to your community
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.