Due to the high to extreme fire danger in many parts of the province, Albertans are strongly advised to restrict outdoor recreation on public land in northwest Alberta. Review current public land restrictions, closures and advisories at:

Wildfire emergency updates

For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Map of this area

Download a current map of Brule for the Holmes Crossing Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ): 

Area and trail information

View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:

  • Camping

    • Random, no-service, camping is permitted.
    • Campsites and fires must be a least one kilometre (0.6 miles) from a Recreation Area, Provincial Park or a roadway.
    • Nearby, serviced camping is available at: Alberta Parks.
    • Review the regulations and best practices for camping on public land.
  • Motorized

    Motocross Icon ATV Icon Prohibited Side by Side Icon Prohibited OHV Snowmobile Icon

    • Off-highway vehicles (OHV) are not permitted.
    • Snowmobiles permitted only on designated trails from December 1 to March 1. For further information see: Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles.
  • Non-motorized

    Hiking Icon Horsebackriding Icon Cross Country Skiing Icon

  • Hunting

    Hunting Icon

    • Alberta hunting regulations apply. For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
    • Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs).
  • Fishing

    Fishing Icon

    • Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.

About this area/PLUZ

This area was created in May 1999 to provide opportunities for  non-motorized recreation and reduce conflicts with summer motorized users.

This area is 27 square kilometres (10.4 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning

Stewardship and biodiversity initiatives


Connect with us:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Regional Area Office – Whitecourt
Phone: 780-778-7153
Toll free: 310-LAND (5263) (in Alberta)

Call 310-LAND anytime to report illegal activity, public safety issues, and enforcement concerns on Crown land (public land, provincial parks and protected areas).

1st Floor, 5020 52 Avenue
Whitecourt, Alberta  T7S 1N2

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.