About air indicators
Alberta’s Environmental Science Program monitors air quality across the province to better understand long-term changes over space and time. Explore the air indicators below to:
- learn more about why these indicators are important
- read about trends in Alberta’s air quality
- access additional data and resources
Explore air indicators
Alberta’s air is continually monitored to establish levels of air quality and the amount of air pollution deposited on Alberta’s land and water from airborne sources. To learn more about air monitoring, and to access data, see: Environmental monitoring.
The 5-year air quality and deposition monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER) plan provides a roadmap and framework for the delivery of monitoring, evaluation and reporting activities being undertaken in partnership with stakeholders from 2021 to 2025. The plan contains 37 implementation items aimed at achieving 3 key outcomes including:
- providing the data and information required to manage air quality and deposition within environmental limits;
- reporting air quality information in real-time to inform the public and emergency response personnel about risk to human health; and
- sharing technical information on monitoring methods, and address current and emerging air quality and deposition issues.
Learn about the 5-year air quality and deposition plan.
Scientific Paper: An approach to inform air quality management through receptor source apportionment and thermodynamic modelling of fine particulate matter in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Date published: March 2023
Authors: Aklilu, Y.A., C. Adams, G.R. Wentworth, M. Mazur, and E. Dabek-Zlotorzynska
Report: Status of air quality in Alberta: air zones report 2019-2021
Date published: August 2023
Authors: Brown, C., and A. Thi
Factsheet: PurpleAir PA-II air quality sensor
Date published: September 2022
Authors: Environment and Protected Areas
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.