For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:
Map of this area
A map for the Athabasca Ranch Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) can be found at: Hinton/Coal Branch Area – North Map.
Area and trail information
View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:
- Random, no-service, camping is permitted.
- Campsites and fires must be a least one kilometre from a Recreation Area, Provincial Park or a roadway. For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
- Nearby, partly-serviced camping is available at William A. Switzer Provincial Park.
Off-highway vehicles (OHV) and highway vehicles permitted only on designated trails and in designated areas. Date and trail restriction applies.
Red Trail Open (Athabasca Ranch Activity Map):
- Friday, noon until Sunday, midnight during May Long Weekend (inclusive)
- June 25 to Monday, midnight of Labour Day Weekend (inclusive)
- Recreation on public land - Overview: Know B4 U Go
Snowmobiles permitted only on designated trails. Vehicle Access Corridors open year-round for snow vehicles. For further information see: Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles.
Cross-country skiing permitted.
For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.
Alberta hunting regulations apply. Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs). For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.
Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.
About this area/PLUZ
This area was created in May, 1999 to minimize conflicts between motorized users and elk during breeding season.
The area is 40 square kilometres (15.4 square miles).
Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area
Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives
- There are currently no initiatives at this time.
Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Foothills Office – Hinton
3rd Floor, 131 Civic Centre Road
Hinton, Alberta T7V 2E6