Public Lands Camping Pass required

A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains. For more information, visit:

For advisories and closures for this and other areas, visit:

Map of this area

A map for the Athabasca Ranch Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) can be found at: Hinton/Coal Branch Area – North Map.

Area and trail information

View information for Provincial Park Recreation Areas and other information on the region:




Motocross Icon ATV Icon Activity Icon Activity Icon Activity Icon

Off-highway vehicles (OHV) and highway vehicles permitted only on designated trails and in designated areas. Date and trail restriction applies.

Red Trail Open (Athabasca Ranch Activity Map):

For relevant clubs, trails and other information see: Alberta TrailNet and Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Association.

Snowmobiles permitted only on designated trails. Vehicle Access Corridors open year-round for snow vehicles. For further information see: Know Before You Go: Snowmobiles.


Hiking Icon Horsebackriding Icon Cross Country Skiing Icon

Hiking permitted.
Equestrian permitted.
Cross-country skiing permitted.

For further information see: Recreation on public land - Overview.

For relevant clubs, trails and other information see, Alberta Cross-Country Skiing and Alberta Equestrian Federation.


Activity Icon

Alberta hunting regulations apply. Hunting is not permitted in Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs). For details on hunting regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Hunting: Regulations.


Activity Icon

Alberta fishing regulations apply. For details on fishing regulations, visit the My Wild Alberta website at: Fishing: Regulations.

About this area/PLUZ

This area was created in May, 1999 to minimize conflicts between motorized users and elk during breeding season.

The area is 40 square kilometres (15.4 square miles).

Legislation, management, and planning relevant to area

Stewardship, monitoring, and biodiversity initiatives

  • There are currently no initiatives at this time.


Connect with Alberta Environment and Parks:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-865-8267
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)

Foothills Office – Hinton
3rd Floor, 131 Civic Centre Road
Hinton, Alberta  T7V 2E6

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.