Support for business and workers

Learn about the plan to support workers and small business relief efforts in Fort McMurray and surrounding communities.

Information for employers

As businesses and employees work to get Fort McMurray back on its feet, safety must be the first priority to avoid incidents and injuries. Occupational Health and Safety and Employment Standards legislation still apply. For more information:

Support for local businesses

Government intends to work with local suppliers for any recovery-related procurement under provincial jurisdiction, with a preference for competitive bids from local firms.

Business Resource Centre

A small business support centre was established immediately following the wildfire to provide businesses with resources to support recovery as well as access to information, workshops, networking opportunities and more. The Business Resource Centre has evolved to meet the needs of new and exisiting buisnesses whether they are in recovery or working to start or grow a buisness.

2nd Floor Timberlea Landing
309 Powder Drive, Fort McMurray
Mon-Fri: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Business Recovery Hotline

Receive updates and links to local resources to assist you with issues or concerns, and participate in a business recovery survey to identify the business community's distinct short and long-term needs.

The Business Link

Small businesses affected by the wildfires are encouraged to access advisory services through The Business Link. Advisers can provide information, answer questions and direct you to resources and connect you to experts who can help.

Advisers are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mountain Time at 1-800-272-9675 or online at

Financial Assistance

Businesses in need of financial assistance should contact their banks. Depending on the circumstances, there may be special instruments or options available to you, such as:

  • payment deferrals on personal and business credit products
  • loan restructurings
  • fee adjustments
  • mortgage re-amortizations


If you opted for it, your small business may have some measure of interruption or fire insurance. Talk to your insurance company and it will assist you in the appropriate claims process.

In case of issues, you can contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) at:

Support for workers

Employment Standards Contact Centre

If you have questions around employment standards, such as getting paid while businesses are closed or have been destroyed in the fire, call 1-877-427-3731 or within Edmonton call 780-427-3731.

Occupational Health and Safety

Safety must be the first priority to avoid incidents and injuries when rebuilding Fort McMurray.

Employment Insurance - Government of Canada

Affected workers are encouraged to apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits as soon as possible, even without a Record of Employment.

If you were receiving EI benefits before the evacuation, you should also contact EI as it could affect how you're reporting activity.

The Government of Canada has a reference code to facilitate and accelerate the processing of EI claims for affected workers.

Temporary Foreign Workers

Temporary Foreign Workers who have lost their jobs and have questions should call the TFW Advisory Office at 1-877-944-9955. If you’ve lost work permits or other important documents, contact your country’s consular office.

Find a job in Fort McMurray and surrounding communities