Government has reduced red tape for commercial transport by updating the Commercial Vehicle Dimension and Weight Regulation, without any changes to traffic or road safety.
Government set its support to Calgary and Edmonton LRT projects in legislation (Public Transit and Green Infrastructure Project Act) and provincial funding for each fiscal year is established in regulation (Order in Council 300/2019).
- Driver’s Road Test – Information on getting any class of licence in Alberta.
- Information about the now completed Southwest Calgary Ring Road and the West Calgary Ring Road, which is under construction.
- Effective March 1, 2019, standardized, entry-level training is mandatory for all new Class 1 and 2 commercial drivers
- Driving tips and information on winter driving
- Vehicles from outside Alberta must pass an inspection before licence plates are issued
- Information on impaired driving laws, checkstops and the ignition interlock program
- Information on traffic safety issues such as pedestrian safety, impaired driving, distracted driving, seatbelt use, and speeding.
The ministry consists of the Department of Transportation and Economic Corridors.
The department promotes a vital and diverse economy by:
- managing transportation safety
- supporting municipalities with public transportation and water/wastewater facilities
- expanding and enhancing a well-integrated transportation system and enabling market access
- preserving and developing the provincial highway network and water management infrastructure
Budget 2022 is moving Alberta forward by building health system capacity, getting more Albertans working, and balancing the budget.
Commercial driver training
Learn about mandatory driver training, driver’s licence endorsements, and driver improvement courses for commercial drivers.
Commercial carrier pre-entry requirements
Enhanced requirements for new and existing commercial trucking companies are now in effect.
Driver and traffic safety
Traffic safety tips for drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users.
- Nov 30, 2022
Construction is set to begin on a new interchange in Leduc that will accelerate the rapid growth happening in and around the Edmonton International Airport trade hub.
- Nov 25, 2022
Alberta’s government is moving forward with plans to twin the important Highway 3 economic corridor between Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
- Nov 18, 2022
Large-scale improvements to Deerfoot Trail will ease congestion on Alberta’s busiest highway.