Alberta Transportation provides assistance to:

  • landowners
  • developers
  • consultants
  • municipalities
  • Albertans who are interested in developments near provincial highways

Policies and guidelines

Access management

An access is a location on a provincial highway where vehicles:

  • enter
  • leave
  • cross

Examples include a private driveway or public road.

Alberta Transportation manages where highway accesses are located and their design.

A permit is required for new accesses or proposals to increase traffic at an existing access.

Find out more about access management guidelines.

Election signs

Alberta Transportation provides guidelines for the safe installation of election signs along provincial highways. If a sign does not comply with the guidelines, a peace officer or person authorized by Alberta Transportation may, without notice or compensation, remove the sign.

Read about election signage guidelines.

Traffic impact assessments

Traffic impact assessments are valuable tools for analyzing traffic generated by proposed developments.

Traffic Impact Assessment Guidelines are available to help qualified engineers complete an assessment report on behalf of a developer or municipality.

Read the Traffic Impact Assessment Guidelines.

Who pays for highway improvements

When a new subdivision or development is proposed, it often generates new traffic that leads to a need to build road improvements.

Government policy requires that municipalities, through the developers, fund improvements to highway connections required as a result of increased traffic caused by subdivisions and development.

Under the Municipal Government Act, Subdivision and Development Regulation and Off-site Levies Regulation, municipalities have the ability to:

  • apply conditions to subdivisions and development
  • collect fees and off-site levies
  • receive provincial transportation grants which can be used to fund highway improvements

Read government’s policy about who pays for highway improvements.

Permit applications

Highway permits are required for activities that occur on or near provincial highways.

See Roadside development permits for information on how to apply for a permit.

In addition to roadside development, permits are required for:

These permits are issued through the area’s Alberta Transportation District Office.

Permit applications can be filled out and sent to the district office:

  • email (in PDF format)
  • by fax
  • by mail
  • in person

Privacy disclaimer for permit applications

The information collected on permit applications is:

  • only used by Alberta Transportation staff to fulfil the purpose for which it was originally collected or for a use consistent with that purpose
  • governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
  • protected once it reaches the district office (if it is submitted electronically); however, the internet is not totally secure and we cannot ensure the information will be protected during transmission

Contact the appropriate district office if you have:

  • questions about the collection and use of your information
  • concerns about sending your permit information online


The following guidelines aim to help promote consistency among Alberta Transportation regions and to help municipalities, their staff, land developers and consultants address Alberta Transportation’s needs early in the process to minimize some of the administrative red tape.

Area Structure Plans

  • This document provides guidance and advice to municipalities, planners, landowners, and others when preparing an Area Structure Plan within 1.6 kilometers of a provincial highway.

Service Road Dedication

  • A service road is a municipal road that provides legal access to adjacent areas and removes the need to directly access the highway. Service roads also enable connections between communities. This document provide guidance to municipalities and landowners while ensuring consistent application of the legislation.

Designing and Constructing Highway Access for Subdivision and Development Approvals

  • Often a new or upgraded access to a highway requires accommodating subdivisions or development approvals from local municipalities. This document provides technical guidance regarding design or construction of highway access or improvements to guide the overall process from concept to completion.


For more information about roadside development:

Athabasca District Office

Phone: 780-675-2624

Main Floor, Jewell Building
3603 53 Street
Athabasca, Alberta  T9S 1A9
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Calgary District Office

Phone: 403-297-6311

2nd Floor, Willowglen Business Park
803 Manning Road NE
Calgary, Alberta  T2E 7M8
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Edson District Office

Phone: 780-723-8250

2nd Floor, Provincial Building
111 54 Street
Edson, Alberta  T7E 1T2
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Fort McMurray District Office

Phone: 780-743-7376

6th Floor, West Tower
9915 Franklin Avenue
Fort McMurray, Alberta  T9H 2K4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Grande Prairie District Office

Phone: 780-538-5310

1st Floor, Provincial Building
10320 99 Street
Grande Prairie, Alberta  T8V 6J4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Hanna District Office

Phone: 403-854-5550

2nd Floor, Provincial Building
401 Centre Street
Hanna, Alberta  T0J 1P0
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Lethbridge District Office

Phone: 403-381-5426

3rd Floor, Administration Building
909 3 Avenue North
Lethbridge, Alberta  T1H 0H5
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Peace River District Office

Phone: 780-624-6280

3rd Floor, Provincial Building
Bag 900, Box 29
9621 96 Avenue
Peace River, Alberta  T8S 1T4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Red Deer District Office

Phone: 403-340-5166

4th Floor, Provincial Building
4920 51 Street
Red Deer, Alberta  T4N 6K8
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Stony Plain District Office

Phone: 780-963-5711

4711 44 Avenue
Stony Plain, Alberta  T7Z 1N4
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions

Vermilion District Office

Phone: 780-853-8178

2nd Floor, Provincial Building
PO Box 28
4701 52 Street
Vermilion, Alberta  T9X 1J9
Email: [email protected]
Open in Google Maps for directions