This database provides information on grant payments made by Government of Alberta departments, and some arms-length agencies, to support programs and initiatives throughout the province.
Search grant payments
Effective June 9, 2023, the Lieutenant Governor in Council made the Establishment of Departments Order set out in the Appendix to Order in Council 156/2023, which authorized the change to some departments‘ names and establishment of a new department (PDF, 102 KB). The grant payment database retains historical department data under the department name which was in place at the time of payment. Therefore, the grant payment database information for the reporting period April 1, 2023 to June 30, 2023, includes grant payments made by new departments, and existing departments under their previous name and current name.
- The grant payment database information for 'Source of Funding-Lottery' was modified for the reporting period January 1, 2020 to March 31, 2020 to reflect the dissolution of the Lottery Fund effective December 5, 2019. The spending on the Funds' purpose has not changed. The programs paid out of the Lottery Fund are now paid out of General Revenue Fund.
- The grant payments database starts April 1, 2014 and is updated quarterly.
- Grant payments before the 2014 fiscal year are listed in the Blue Book (Selected payments from the General Revenue Fund).
- Grant payments made by most regulated funds, provincial agencies, Crown-controlled corporations and SUCH sector organizations (Schools, Universities, Colleges, and Alberta Health Services) are not included.
- Some arms-length agency grant payments are included in the database, others disclose their grants on their own website.
Ministry grant payments
- Apprenticeship and Occupational Trainee Scholarship Recipients
- Pre-Apprentice Scholarships
- Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP)/Career and Technology Studies (CTS) Scholarships
Arts, Culture and Status of Women
Energy and Minerals
- Crime prevention and restorative justice grants
- Human Rights Education and Multiculturalism Fund Grants
- Policing grants
Transportation and Economic Corridors
- Alberta Municipal Infrastructure Program (AMIP) 2005 - 2015
- Alberta Municipal Water/Wastewater Partnership (AMWWP/Water for Life)
- Basic Municipal Transportation Grant (BMTG)
- Green Transit Incentives Program (GreenTRIP)
Details about the grant database
- Grant information is released under Section 11 (d) of the Sustainable Fiscal Planning and Reporting Act.
- Payments where names are not disclosed to protect personal information are shown under the program names.
- Questions about specific line items or requests for additional details can be directed to ministries.
- Under section 37 of the Financial Administration Act, deputy heads are responsible for making and controlling payments with respect to their departments.
- This data also includes credit adjustments which may include repayments, accounting adjustments, and others.
- Payments made by a department on behalf of another department are reported under the name of the department that made the payment.
How grant payment differs from reporting in the Consolidated Financial Statements
- Grant payment information is presented on the basis of payments made during the period which is being reported. This differs from the Consolidated Financial Statements which follows the accrual basis of reporting whereby expenses are reported in the year they are incurred.
- The data includes payments made by departments to government sector entities and Crown-controlled SUCH sector organizations (Schools, Universities, Colleges, and Alberta Health Services) as well as to external organizations and individuals. The Consolidated Financial Statements include only grant payments to external organizations and individuals. Grant payments between departments, government sector entities and Crown-controlled SUCH sector organizations are eliminated upon consolidation, so these transactions do not appear in the Consolidated Financial Statements.
- The data includes payments made based on agreements by Departments on behalf of third parties pursuant to section 25 of the Financial Administration Act. These payments are reported in a note to the financial statements of Departments that made the payments and are not included in expenses in the Consolidated Financial Statements.
- Non-cash transactions are not shown in this dataset. Expenses not involving cash outlays are included in the Consolidated Financial Statements.
- In preparing financial statements, estimates and assumptions are made in circumstances where actual results are unknown. These estimates and assumptions affect the amounts accrued and reported in the financial statements. Actual payments made and included in this dataset may materially differ from the estimates used in preparing financial statements.
- Since this data includes the grant payments to government sector bodies and some agencies, this data will not reconcile to the Consolidated Financial Statements.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.