How to get a certificate

Farmers who wish to use restricted pesticides are required to have a Farmer Pesticide Certificate.

To earn the certificate, you must complete a written exam of the course material. A certified trainer must proctor the exam. You can challenge the exam after reading the modules yourself or contact your agricultural fieldman to arrange a training session.

Course modules

The course is made of 7 modules, all of which are available below. There are also 2 endorsements for specific restricted products below.

Basic pesticide course modules

Module 1: Pesticides (PDF, 534 KB)

Module 2: Poisoning and First Aid (PDF, 345 KB)

Module 3: Safe Handling Procedures (PDF, 399 KB)

Module 4: Environmental Safety (PDF, 351 KB)

Module 5: Integrated Pest Management (PDF, 376 KB)

Module 6: Legislation and Food Safety (PDF, 292 KB)

Module 7: Pesticide Application and Equipment Calibration (PDF, 384 KB)

Endorsement modules

Pest Control in Stored Grain (PDF, 191 KB)

This module is required to fumigate with aluminum phosphide.

Exterior Rodent Control (PDF, 210 KB)

This module is required to use restricted rodenticides.

Contact 310-FARM

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-FARM (3276) (in Alberta)
Phone: 403-742-7901 (outside Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

Sign up for Agri-News

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on