Go to Driver’s road test for information on how COVID-19 affects this service.
This tests your knowledge of Alberta’s traffic laws. The following guidelines apply:
- knowledge tests are conducted for:
- all driver’s licence classes with the exception of Class 5
- the air brake endorsement
- the Safety Fitness Certificate (SFC) Compliance test
- you must take the test at a registry agent office for a fee of $17
- the test is 30 multiple choice questions and you must score a minimum of 25 to pass
- if you fail the test you must wait one day before taking the test again. You may take the test as many times as required to pass but only once per day
- test stations have audio-assistant devices that read the questions and choices of answers to you for $30 and can only be taken in English and only for class 7
- if you have difficulty with English and only need minimal help, you can use a paper English conversion dictionary for class 3, 6 or 7
- if you want to take the test in a language other than those listed below, you’ll need to pay for an approved translator
- class 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and air brake knowledge tests can only be taken in English
- once a knowledge test has been passed and the test permit is validated by a registry agent, the permit is only valid for 1 year from the date of the test
You can study the driver guides for all classes of knowledge tests:
- Driver's Guide to Operation, Safety and Licensing: Cars and Light Trucks
- Commercial Driver's Guide to Operation, Safety and Licensing: Trucks, Buses, Emergency Responders and Taxis
- Rider's Guide to Operation Safety and Licensing: Motorcycles, Mopeds and Power-assisted Bicycles
Practice driver’s knowledge tests
Online practice tests are available to show you what types of questions you may be asked on the driver’s knowledge test to get a Class 7 Learner’s Licence.
These online practice tests do not use the same software as the tests at the registry agent offices. There will be differences in how questions are displayed and how you move between questions.
The practice tests do not work on some mobile devices and web browsers. It is recommended that you use Internet Explorer.
The Class 7 test is available in 25 languages:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
Request a translator for a knowledge test
Before requesting a translator for a Class 7 driver knowledge test, you must complete a minimum of 3 Class 7 driver knowledge tests using any combination of the following:
- English audio
- English assisted
- Driver Knowledge Testing System in English
- Driver Knowledge Testing System in any of the languages listed above
If you have completed a minimum of 3 Class 7 driver knowledge tests attempts, you can email Driver Programs and Licensing Standards (DPLS) at email@example.com to request a translator. You must provide the following information:
- full legal name
- complete date of birth
- current mailing address
- contact email address
- language of translation requested
If the language you require is not available for translation through the computerized system (see the list above under the Languages section), you do not need to first attempt to complete the driver knowledge test 3 times. You can instead make arrangements to have a translator with a valid Translation Identification Number (TIN) attend the test with you on your first attempt. If you already know a translator with a valid TIN, you do not need to contact DPLS.
If you choose to have someone else provide the contact email address on your behalf, you authorize that DPLS may disclose your personal information to the third party email address provided.
DPLS may grant or refuse the use of a translator and will advise you of the decision via email. If DPLS approves the use of translator, you will receive a list of approved translators. You can choose to use any approved translator with a valid TIN at your knowledge test.
You are responsible for all scheduling and costs associated with knowledge testing and translator services (if applicable).
See the list of approved translator agencies and information on how to become a translator for driver's knowledge tests.