Advanced road test announcement

Starting in spring 2023, Alberta will no longer require the advanced road test for Class 5 and Class 6 Graduated Driver’s Licences (GDL). A road test will no longer be mandatory to obtain a Class 4 driver’s licence, which is required to transport passengers in taxis, ride-share vehicles, limousines, small buses and ambulances. For more information, see the news release.

Consumer Investigations Unit warning

The Consumer Investigations Unit is warning Albertans about a website representing itself as a driving test scheduler, operating in Alberta. Exercise caution, conduct research and verify the legitimacy of a website before disclosing any personal information online.

New road test model

A new and more efficient road test system has launched to ensure drivers have timely access to tests while keeping Alberta roads safe.

We strengthened oversight of the system to ensure all road tests are fair and safe, resulting in competent, safe drivers.

As of January 5, 2021, passenger vehicle road tests for Class 4, 5, and 6 are now delivered by private driver examiners through Alberta registry agents.

Class 1, 2 and 3 commercial, truck and bus road tests continue to be conducted by government examiners to ensure drivers are meeting higher standards set by the new Mandatory Entry Level Training program.

View the News Release:


Knowledge tests assess your knowledge of Alberta’s traffic laws.

We conduct knowledge tests for:

  • all driver’s licence classes, except for Class 5
  • the air brake endorsement
  • the S-endorsement
  • the Safety Fitness Certificate (SFC) Compliance test

Knowledge tests are available at registry agent offices for a fee:

  • The test involves 30 multiple choice questions and you must score a minimum of 25 to pass.
  • You may take the test as many times as required to pass but only once per day.
  • You must pay for each test.

The Class 7 Test is available at test stations via audio-assistant devices that read to you the questions and choices of answers.

If you have difficulty with English and need minimal help, you can use a paper English conversion dictionary for Class 3, 6 or 7 knowledge tests.

You are responsible for all scheduling and costs associated with knowledge testing and translator services (if applicable).

Driver guides

The driver guides for all classes of knowledge tests are available online:


The Class 7 test is available in 25 languages:

  • Amharic
  • Arabic (Modern Standard)
  • Chinese (Simplified)
  • Italian
  • Korean
  • Oromo
  • Polish
  • Portuguese
  • Vietnamese
  • Chinese (Traditional)
  • Cree
  • Dutch
  • English
  • Punjabi
  • Russian
  • Somali
  • Spanish
  • Farsi
  • French
  • German
  • Hindi
  • Thai
  • Ukrainian
  • Urdu
  • Tagalog

If you want to take the test in a language other than those listed above, you will need to pay for an approved translator.

Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and air brake knowledge tests can only be taken in English.

Request a translator for a knowledge test

Before requesting a translator for a Class 7 driver knowledge test, you must attempt a minimum of 3 Class 7 driver knowledge tests using any combination of the following:

  • English audio
  • English assisted
  • Driver Knowledge Testing System in English
  • Driver Knowledge Testing System in any of the languages listed above

If you have completed a minimum of 3 Class 7 driver knowledge tests attempts, you can request a translator by emailing [email protected].

You must provide the following information:

  • full legal name
  • complete date of birth
  • current mailing address
  • contact email address
  • language of translation requested

If you choose to have someone else provide the contact email address on your behalf, you are authorizing us to disclose your personal information to the third party email address provided.

If the language you require is not available for translation through the computerized system (see the list above under the Languages section), you do not need to first attempt to complete the driver knowledge test 3 times.

You can instead make arrangements to have a translator with a valid Translation Identification Number (TIN) attend the test with you on your first attempt.

If you already know a translator with a valid TIN, you do not need to contact us regarding this matter. We may grant or refuse a request to use a translator and will advise you of the decision via email.

If approved, you will receive a list of approved translators. You may choose to use any approved translator with a valid TIN at your knowledge test.

See the list of approved translator agencies and information on how to become a translator for driver's knowledge tests.

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on