Get a Class 6 motorcycle driver’s licence

A Class 6 licence allows you to drive a motorcycle or moped by yourself.

Driver licensing changes

Starting April 1, 2023, drivers are no longer required to take the advanced road test to exit the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program.

See Changes to driver licensing system for more details.


To drive a motorcycle, you must hold a Class 6 licence.

A Class 6 licence also allows you to drive all Class 5 motor vehicles as a learner.


You must be at least 16-years old and have at minimum a Class 7 learner’s licence for a year.

If you already have a full Class 5 driver’s licence, you’ll need to take a Class 6 knowledge and road test.

If you don’t have a Class 5 or Class 7 licence, you’ll need to complete all the requirements of Class 7, pass a Class 6 knowledge and road test, and be placed in the Graduated Driver's Licence (GDL) program before you can get a full Class 6 licence.

If you have a Class 5 or Class 7 licence, you’ll need to take a Class 6 knowledge and road test.

How to get a Class 6 licence

Step 1. Take a knowledge test

Go to a registry agent and take a knowledge test.

You will need to bring your existing driver’s licence (Class 7 or Class 5) to the registry agent.

Step 2. Pass a road test

Schedule a road test through a registry agent or online through the Alberta Road Test Scheduler.

You need to bring your own motorcycle for testing.

Ensure your cell phone is equipped with ear buds for examiner communication.

Three-wheeled motorcycle

If you take a road test using a three-wheeled motorcycle, your Class 6 licence restricts you to only operate a three-wheeled motorcycle.

Step 3. Purchase your licence card

Once you pass the knowledge and road test you will be able to purchase a Class 6 licence card.

You will be given a temporary licence that’s valid for 30 days or until your licence card comes in the mail.

Your licence card should arrive within 21 business days. If it hasn’t arrived in 21 days, call the number on the back of your temporary licence and you’ll be given instructions on what to do. Report the missing licence to a registry agent within 60 days of applying, or you may be charged for a replacement.

When you get your licence card, you’ll have to destroy the temporary licence.

Step 4. Upgrade to a full Class 6 licence

To get a full Class 6 (non-GDL) driver’s licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • have completed the 24 months of probationary driving
    • Drivers may be eligible to reduce their 24-month probationary period by up to 6 months by completing a Class 5 or Class 6 driver training program from a driver training school licensed by Transportation and Economic Corridors.
  • be suspension and demerit free for the last 12 months


Connect with Motor Vehicles:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]