Codes in force
The following codes in the building discipline are currently in force:
- National Building Codes – 2019 Alberta Edition and National Fire Code – 2019 Alberta Edition
- National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings 2017
Historical code timeline
Alberta Building Code (ABC)
- ABC 2014: In force from May 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- ABC 2006: In force from September 2, 2007 to April 30, 2015
- ABC 1997: In force from June 1, 1998 to September 1, 2007
- ABC 1990: In force from September 1, 1991 to May 31, 1998
National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB)
- NECB 2011: In force from November 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- no prior editions of the code were adopted in Alberta
The accessibility standards set out the requirements for the safe design of accessible and barrier-free environments regulated under the Safety Codes Act. Municipal Affairs works in partnership with the Safety Codes Council to coordinate and encourage barrier-free design and access for any thing, process or activity regulated under the act.
Barrier-Free Design Guide
In partnership with the Barrier-Free Sub-Council of the Safety Codes Council, the Public Safety Division has developed the Barrier-Free Design Guide to provide further interpretation and understanding of accessibility requirements under Section 3.8 of the Alberta Building Code. The guide also makes recommendations for best practice design solutions including residential living.
A copy of the guide is available for a free download in pdf from the Safety Codes Council.
- Application for Barrier-Free Relaxation
- Pre-assessment for Relaxation of Barrier-Free Requirements (PDF, 931 KB)
(for the authority having jurisdiction)
- Building Permit Application (PDF, 64 KB)
(for relocatable industrial accommodation and manufactured homes)
- Code change request guidelines and form (PDF, 374 KB)
The ABC 2014 and the National Building Code 2019 – Alberta Edition (NBC-2019 AE) reference the following professional schedules.
Professional schedules ABC 2014
- Schedule A1-ABC (PDF, 31 KB)
- Schedule A2-ABC (PDF, 41 KB)
- Schedule B1-ABC (PDF, 35 KB)
- Schedule B2-ABC (PDF, 44 KB)
- Schedule C1-ABC (PDF, 29 KB)
- Schedule C2-ABC (PDF, 30 KB)
Professional schedules NBC-2019 AE
- Schedule A1-NBC (PDF, 120 KB)
- Schedule A2-NBC (PDF, 120 KB)
- Schedule B1-NBC (PDF, 110 KB)
- Schedule B2-NBC (PDF, 135 KB)
- Schedule C1-NBC (PDF, 105 KB)
- Schedule C2-NBC (PDF, 105 KB)
Other documents related to building codes and standards.
- Requirements for bedroom windows (PDF, 230 KB)
- Requirements for using foamed plastics in your home (PDF, 20 KB)