Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Codes in force
The following codes in the building discipline are currently in force:
- National Building Code – 2019 Alberta Edition (PDF, 23 MB)
- National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings 2017
Historical code timeline
Alberta Building Code (ABC)
- ABC 2014: In force from May 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 2006: In force from September 2, 2007 to April 30, 2015 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 1997: In force from June 1, 1998 to September 1, 2007 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 1990: In force from September 1, 1991 to May 31, 1998 (PDF, 17 KB)
National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB)
- NECB 2011: In force from November 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- no prior editions of the code were adopted in Alberta
The ABC 2014, National Building Code - 2019 Alberta Edition (NBC-2019 AE), and Standata 19-BCV-024 reference the following professional schedules.
- Schedule A1-ABC (PDF, 31 KB)
- Schedule A2-ABC (PDF, 41 KB)
- Schedule B1-ABC (PDF, 35 KB)
- Schedule B2-ABC (PDF, 44 KB)
- Schedule C1-ABC (PDF, 29 KB)
- Schedule C2-ABC (PDF, 30 KB)
- Schedule A1-NBC (PDF, 120 KB)
- Schedule A2-NBC (PDF, 120 KB)
- Schedule B1-NBC (PDF, 110 KB)
- Schedule B2-NBC (PDF, 135 KB)
- Schedule C1-NBC (PDF, 105 KB)
- Schedule C2-NBC (PDF, 105 KB)
Connect with us if you have questions about safety codes:
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.