COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
Codes in force
The following codes in the building discipline are currently in force:
- National Building Code – 2019 Alberta Edition (PDF, 23 MB)
- National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings 2017
Historical code timeline
Alberta Building Code (ABC)
- ABC 2014: In force from May 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 2006: In force from September 2, 2007 to April 30, 2015 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 1997: In force from June 1, 1998 to September 1, 2007 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 1990: In force from September 1, 1991 to May 31, 1998 (PDF, 17 KB)
National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB)
- NECB 2011: In force from November 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- no prior editions of the code were adopted in Alberta
The ABC 2014 and the National Building Code - 2019 Alberta Edition (NBC-2019 AE) reference the following professional schedules.
Professional schedules ABC 2014
- Schedule A1-ABC (PDF, 31 KB)
- Schedule A2-ABC (PDF, 41 KB)
- Schedule B1-ABC (PDF, 35 KB)
- Schedule B2-ABC (PDF, 44 KB)
- Schedule C1-ABC (PDF, 29 KB)
- Schedule C2-ABC (PDF, 30 KB)
Professional schedules NBC-2019 AE
For questions about safety codes, see Safety codes – Contact options.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.