COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Codes in force
The following codes in the building discipline are currently in force:
- National Building Code – 2019 Alberta Edition (PDF, 23 MB)
- National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings 2017 (PDF, 4.5 MB)
Historical code timeline
Alberta Building Code (ABC)
- ABC 2014: In force from May 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 2006: In force from September 2, 2007 to April 30, 2015 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 1997: In force from June 1, 1998 to September 1, 2007 (PDF, 17 MB)
- ABC 1990: In force from September 1, 1991 to May 31, 1998 (PDF, 17 KB)
National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB)
- NECB 2011: In force from November 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- no prior editions of the code were adopted in Alberta
The ABC 2014 and the National Building Code - 2019 Alberta Edition (NBC-2019 AE) reference the following professional schedules.
Professional schedules ABC 2014
- Schedule A1-ABC (PDF, 31 KB)
- Schedule A2-ABC (PDF, 41 KB)
- Schedule B1-ABC (PDF, 35 KB)
- Schedule B2-ABC (PDF, 44 KB)
- Schedule C1-ABC (PDF, 29 KB)
- Schedule C2-ABC (PDF, 30 KB)
Professional schedules NBC-2019 AE
For questions about safety codes, see Safety codes – Contact options.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.