COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
The role of the Alberta Public Service is to provide professional policy advice to government and to deliver a vast array of programs and services to meet the needs of Albertans.
We offer a variety of benefits including the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of Albertans through rewarding and diverse career opportunities.
Discover rewarding and diverse careers with our Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool.
Alberta Public Service vision and values
Our vision and values are the foundation of the Alberta Public Service and guide our employees in their roles and actions.
Proudly working together to build a stronger province for current and future generations.
- Respect: We foster an environment in which each individual is valued and heard.
- Accountability: We are responsible for our actions and for contributing to the effectiveness of the public service.
- Integrity: We behave ethically and are open, honest and fair.
- Excellence: We use innovation and continuous improvement to achieve excellence.
The Alberta Public Service at work
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans.
Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion Policy.
The Alberta Public Service takes pride in serving Albertans. Our employees are experienced, engaged and professional.
We are committed to providing a healthy, safe and respectful workplace. We support our employees at every stage of life.
Most Alberta Public Service employees are full-time and, where possible, supported with flexible work arrangements such as part-time, job sharing, compressed work weeks, or flexible work schedules.
The Alberta Public Service supports a positive work environment through:
- the Public Service Commission that provides policies, programs, supports and services to ensure a professional, diverse and inclusive public service
- a competency model (PDF, 736 KB) that provides the foundation for our human resource processes
- a commitment to employee engagement through our people strategy
- a workplace where our employees are valued and supported through our Respectful Workplace Policy
- rewards and recognition programs to ensure recognition is timely, meaningful and personal
- policy and programs to enhance diversity and build inclusive practices
- supports for our employees and immediate family members through the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- whistleblower protection to increase accountability across the public service
We work in a unionized environment. About 75% of public servants are members of the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees.
The Alberta Public Service supports our employees' growth and development throughout their career journeys in the organization. We offer the following professional development supports:
- customized learning pathways for all employee groups
- coaching and mentorship opportunities
- executive and management development opportunities
- self-directed learning opportunities to further develop skills and broaden experience
Salary and benefits
The Alberta Public Service values our employees and offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefit packages. Salary ranges vary depending on the job.
Our comprehensive benefit package includes:
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- pension plans
- health spending account
- flexible spending account
Employees also receive:
- vacation entitlements
- leave provisions such as illness leave, special leave, maternity and parental leave
- programs for our employees working and residing in Fort McMurray and our northern-most communities
Flexible Spending Account
The Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Plan will include the existing non-taxable Health Spending Account (HSA) and a new taxable Wellness Spending Account (WSA). The FSA consists of an annual credit allotment provided to eligible employees for expenses not covered by their benefit plan. You can allocate credits to either your HSA, your WSA or a combination of both. For more information, see:
- Flexible Spending Account Guide (PDF, 859 KB) (for bargaining unit employees)
- Wellness Spending Account Eligible Expenses Reference Guide (PDF, 91 KB)
- Ministerial Order No. 01/2020 – Health Spending Account Plan
- Ministerial Order No. 02/2020 – Flexible Spending Account Plan
You can contact us for technical assistance and questions about jobs with the Alberta Public Service. We will make every effort to respond promptly.
If you have already applied on a job posting and have questions about your application, you can contact the Human Resources contact referenced in the job posting or Talent Acquisition Services at [email protected].
Only those inquiries that include an email address will receive a response.
The personal information collected through this form may be used for the purpose of contacting you to address your inquiry.
This personal information collection is authorized under section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
If you have any questions about this collection of personal information, you may contact Talent Acquisition Services, Public Service Commission at [email protected].
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.