Reports on road conditions, construction, major incidents and weather alerts that could affect travel on Alberta highways.
Safety, rules, regulations and permits for commercial transportation.
Information about driver's licences, practice knowledge tests, preparing for road tests and becoming a driver.
Financial assistance programs for municipal governments and organizations.
Information about Alberta’s transportation network.
Technical resources and specifications for transportation contractors.
Resources for businesses that want to bid on transportation construction tenders and contracts.
All road tests are conducted by government driver examiners as of March 1, 2019.
Research indicates that driver distractions contribute to 20 to 30% of all collisions and that distracted drivers are 3 times more likely to be involved in a collision than attentive drivers.
Commercial driver training
Learn about mandatory driver training, driver’s licence endorsements, and driver improvement courses for commercial drivers.
Commercial carrier pre-entry requirements
Enhanced requirements for new and existing commercial trucking companies come into effect in 2019.
Southwest Calgary Ring Road
Learn more about the Southwest Calgary Ring Road project which will run between Highway 8 and Macleod Trail.
The ministry consists of the Department of Transportation and the Alberta Transportation Safety Board (ATSB).
The department promotes a vital and diverse economy by:
- managing transportation safety
- supporting municipalities with public transportation and water/wastewater facilities
- expanding and enhancing a well-integrated transportation system and enabling market access
- preserving and developing the provincial highway network and water management infrastructure
- holds driver conduct hearings
- hears appeals of driver, vehicle, commercial carrier and railway safety decisions
- provides policy feedback and recommendations on Traffic Safety Act implementation and enforcement
- Annual reports
- Budget documents
- Business plans
- Ministry publications
- Provincial Construction Program
- List of public agencies
- Media inquiries
- Personal information bank directories
- Staff directory
- Telephone directory by community
- Ask Alberta Transportation a question
- Jul 25, 2019
Heavy rain has washed out sections of Highway 88 north of Slave Lake near the Hamlet of Marten Beach.
- Jun 28, 2019
Alberta is extending the deadline for farmers and school bus drivers to meet training requirements as new commercial drivers.
- Jun 27, 2019
Albertans are reminded to drive safe and sober as they take to the roads over the Canada Day long weekend.