EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
Government has reduced red tape for commercial transport by updating the Commercial Vehicle Dimension and Weight Regulation, without any changes to traffic or road safety.
Government set its support to Calgary and Edmonton LRT projects in legislation (Public Transit and Green Infrastructure Project Act) and provincial funding for each fiscal year is established in regulation (Order in Council 300/2019).
- Driver’s Road Test – Information on getting any class of licence in Alberta.
- Information about the Calgary Ring Road
- Effective March 1, 2019, standardized, entry-level training is mandatory for all new Class 1 and 2 commercial drivers
- Driving tips and information on winter driving
- Vehicles from outside Alberta must pass an inspection before licence plates are issued
- Information on impaired driving laws, checkstops and the ignition interlock program
- Information on traffic safety issues such as pedestrian safety, impaired driving, distracted driving, seatbelt use, and speeding.
The ministry consists of the Department of Transportation and the Alberta Transportation Safety Board (ATSB).
The department promotes a vital and diverse economy by:
- managing transportation safety
- supporting municipalities with public transportation and water/wastewater facilities
- expanding and enhancing a well-integrated transportation system and enabling market access
- preserving and developing the provincial highway network and water management infrastructure
- holds driver conduct hearings
- hears appeals of driver, vehicle, commercial carrier and railway safety decisions
- provides policy feedback and recommendations on Traffic Safety Act implementation and enforcement
- Annual reports
- Budget documents
- Business plans
- Ministry publications
- Provincial Construction Program
- List of public agencies
- Media inquiries
- Personal information bank directories
- Ministry staff directory
- Telephone directory by community
Commercial driver training
Learn about mandatory driver training, driver’s licence endorsements, and driver improvement courses for commercial drivers.
Commercial carrier pre-entry requirements
Enhanced requirements for new and existing commercial trucking companies are now in effect.
Maintains budgets at record levels for health and education, and focuses on getting Alberta back to work.
- Nov 27, 2020
Alberta’s government is taking action to increase the safety of snowplow and tow truck drivers.
- Nov 26, 2020
New programs will improve access to trucking jobs and address driver shortages while keeping Albertans safe on the road.
- Nov 09, 2020
Twinning the Peace River bridge has improved critical connections through the community and its construction supported more than 400 jobs.