COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Government has reduced red tape for commercial transport by updating the Commercial Vehicle Dimension and Weight Regulation, without any changes to traffic or road safety.
Government set its support to Calgary and Edmonton LRT projects in legislation (Public Transit and Green Infrastructure Project Act) and provincial funding for each fiscal year is established in regulation (Order in Council 300/2019).
- Driver’s Road Test – Information on getting any class of licence in Alberta.
- Information about the Calgary Ring Road
- Effective March 1, 2019, standardized, entry-level training is mandatory for all new Class 1 and 2 commercial drivers
- Driving tips and information on winter driving
- Vehicles from outside Alberta must pass an inspection before licence plates are issued
- Information on impaired driving laws, checkstops and the ignition interlock program
- Information on traffic safety issues such as pedestrian safety, impaired driving, distracted driving, seatbelt use, and speeding.
The ministry consists of the Department of Transportation.
The department promotes a vital and diverse economy by:
- managing transportation safety
- supporting municipalities with public transportation and water/wastewater facilities
- expanding and enhancing a well-integrated transportation system and enabling market access
- preserving and developing the provincial highway network and water management infrastructure
- Annual reports
- Budget documents
- Business plans
- Ministry publications
- Provincial Construction Program
- List of public agencies
- Media inquiries
- Personal information bank directories
- Ministry staff directory
- Telephone directory by community
Alberta’s budget is focused on protecting lives and livelihoods, investing in health care, preparing for recovery and spending responsibly.
Commercial driver training
Learn about mandatory driver training, driver’s licence endorsements, and driver improvement courses for commercial drivers.
Commercial carrier pre-entry requirements
Enhanced requirements for new and existing commercial trucking companies are now in effect.
Maintains budgets at record levels for health and education, and focuses on getting Alberta back to work.
- Oct 02, 2021
After five years of construction, one of the biggest infrastructure projects in Alberta’s history fully opens to traffic.
- Oct 01, 2021
A walk to commemorate and raise awareness of missing and murdered Indigenous people will occur on Highways 2 and 3 from Oct. 1-4.
- Oct 01, 2021
Alberta’s government is strengthening the workforce by launching the second phase of the Driving Back to Work grant program.