Government has reduced red tape for commercial transport by updating the Commercial Vehicle Dimension and Weight Regulation, without any changes to traffic or road safety.
Government set its support to Calgary and Edmonton LRT projects in legislation (Public Transit and Green Infrastructure Project Act) and provincial funding for each fiscal year is established in regulation (Order in Council 300/2019).
- Driver’s Road Test – Information on getting any class of licence in Alberta.
- Information about the now completed Southwest Calgary Ring Road and the West Calgary Ring Road, which is under construction.
- Effective March 1, 2019, standardized, entry-level training is mandatory for all new Class 1 and 2 commercial drivers
- Driving tips and information on winter driving
- Vehicles from outside Alberta must pass an inspection before licence plates are issued
- Information on impaired driving laws, checkstops and the ignition interlock program
- Information on traffic safety issues such as pedestrian safety, impaired driving, distracted driving, seatbelt use, and speeding.
The ministry consists of the Department of Transportation.
The department promotes a vital and diverse economy by:
- managing transportation safety
- supporting municipalities with public transportation and water/wastewater facilities
- expanding and enhancing a well-integrated transportation system and enabling market access
- preserving and developing the provincial highway network and water management infrastructure
- Annual reports
- Budget documents
- Business plans
- Ministry publications
- Provincial Construction Program
- List of public agencies
- Media inquiries
- Personal information bank directories
- Ministry staff directory
- Telephone directory by community
Budget 2022 is moving Alberta forward by building health system capacity, getting more Albertans working, and balancing the budget.
Commercial driver training
Learn about mandatory driver training, driver’s licence endorsements, and driver improvement courses for commercial drivers.
Commercial carrier pre-entry requirements
Enhanced requirements for new and existing commercial trucking companies are now in effect.
Driver and traffic safety
Traffic safety tips for drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users.
- Aug 09, 2022
Interested parties may now submit proposals to bring commercial safety rest areas one step closer to construction.
- Jul 28, 2022
Bridge closures will result in travel delays as work to expand the southwest segment of Anthony Henday Drive continues.
- Jul 26, 2022
Rolling closures along a section of the Queen Elizabeth II Highway will be in effect on the morning of July 27 to accommodate the papal motorcade.