Reports on road conditions, construction, major incidents and weather alerts that could affect travel on Alberta highways.
Safety, rules, regulations and permits for commercial transportation.
Information about driver's licences, practice knowledge tests, preparing for road tests and becoming a driver.
Financial assistance programs for municipal governments and organizations.
Information about Alberta’s transportation network.
Technical resources and specifications for transportation contractors.
Resources for businesses that want to bid on transportation construction tenders and contracts.
Before getting any class of licence in Alberta, you will need to take a road test.
A plan for jobs and the economy.
Commercial driver training
Learn about mandatory driver training, driver’s licence endorsements, and driver improvement courses for commercial drivers.
Commercial carrier pre-entry requirements
Enhanced requirements for new and existing commercial trucking companies come into effect in 2019.
Southwest Calgary Ring Road
Learn more about the Southwest Calgary Ring Road project which will run between Highway 8 and Macleod Trail.
The ministry consists of the Department of Transportation and the Alberta Transportation Safety Board (ATSB).
The department promotes a vital and diverse economy by:
- managing transportation safety
- supporting municipalities with public transportation and water/wastewater facilities
- expanding and enhancing a well-integrated transportation system and enabling market access
- preserving and developing the provincial highway network and water management infrastructure
- holds driver conduct hearings
- hears appeals of driver, vehicle, commercial carrier and railway safety decisions
- provides policy feedback and recommendations on Traffic Safety Act implementation and enforcement
- Annual reports
- Budget documents
- Business plans
- Ministry publications
- Provincial Construction Program
- List of public agencies
- Media inquiries
- Personal information bank directories
- Ministry staff directory
- Telephone directory by community
- Nov 12, 2019
Budget 2019 includes $4.4 billion to build and repair highways across the province to support Alberta’s economy and improve safe travel.
- Nov 12, 2019
Alberta Transportation and the Stoney Nakoda First Nation have signed an agreement for the transfer of lands needed for the widening and upgrading of Highway 1A.
- Sep 27, 2019
The speed limit on a 10-kilometre stretch of Highway 35 south of High Level has been reduced to 50 kilometres per hour, effective immediately.