Alberta has the third highest rate of self-reported spousal violence among Canadian provinces, yet family violence is preventable. November is Family Violence Prevention Month in Alberta. It is a time to increase awareness of the resources and supports available so we can work together to end family violence and build healthier relationships in our communities.
This November, join us in recognizing Family Violence Prevention Month and learn what resources are available in your community to support those affected by family violence. Here are a few examples:
- the Family Violence Info Line (310-1818) is available toll-free to Albertans 24/7 in over 170 languages
- the Family Violence Info Line chat is available 8 am to 8pm daily in English
- emergency shelters throughout the province provide safe locations to stay for people fleeing violent or abusive situations.
- other supports are available on our Find supports page
- share Family Violence Prevention Month awareness resources on social media
- put up Family Violence Prevention Month posters in your community
- ask the leaders in your community to proclaim November as Family Violence Prevention Month
- write a letter or email to the editor of your local newspaper or radio station about the importance of promoting healthy relationships
Show your support by participating in an event. You can also submit your event and we can help promote it online.
Post your event photos on social media
- follow us on Twitter at @AlbertaCSS
- share your event photos using the #GoPurpleAB and #WhereToTurn hashtags
Use awareness resources
Download and share posters and social media graphics to help raise awareness of Family Violence Prevention Month.
FVPM Poster (Version 1) (PDF, 230 KB)
FVPM Poster (Version 2) (PDF, 239 KB)
FVPM Social Graphic 1:
FVPM Social Graphic 2:
FVPM Social Graphic 3:
FVPM Fillable Proclamation (PDF, 215 KB)
FVPM Email Signature (JPG, 99 KB)