Call 911 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger. Family violence is a crime.
Family violence includes physical, verbal, emotional, financial and sexual abuse, neglect, stalking or being kept from seeing other people or forced to stay in one place.
November is Family Violence Prevention Month in Alberta. It’s a time to increase awareness to create change in our communities. We all have the right to feel safe. It takes all of us working together to support healthy relationships, safer homes and communities. November is a time we can all take action to help prevent family violence. Consider how you can make a difference.
All Albertans can show their support by hosting events during November and using the hashtag #GoPurpleAB. Here are a few ideas:
- incorporate Go Purple into the events and activities you are already planning for Family Violence Prevention Month
- share Family Violence Prevention Month awareness resources on social media
- host a Go Purple Potluck in your community or at work
- host Go Purple Proclamation events as a municipality to promote Family Violence Prevention Month
- wear purple ribbons as a sports team, social group or community organization
- coordinate a Purple Ribbon Day or Wear Purple Day
- put up Family Violence Prevention Month posters in your community
- host a Go Purple Community Walk
- collect toiletries, toys and books for emergency shelters
- host a training session on family violence prevention or awareness
- write a letter or email to the editor of your local newspaper or radio station about the importance of promoting healthy relationships
Promote the event
We will help promote your event online.
Post your event photos on social media
Use awareness resources
Download materials to help promote Family Violence Prevention Month in your community.
- Reach Out Speak Out – poster (PDF, 235 KB)
- Reach Out Speak Out community event – fillable poster (DOCX, 102 KB)
- Family Violence Prevention Month 2018: Reasons we #GoPurpleAB – infographic (PDF, 240 KB)
- Horizontal web banner (JPEG, 134 KB)
- City/town proclamation – fillable certificate (PDF, 398 KB)
- Family Violence Information Line – business card (PDF, 2.4 MB)
- Safer Spaces – business card (PDF, 223 KB)