The Ministry of Energy became the Ministry of Energy and Minerals on June 9, 2023. The programs and services listed below may not reflect our new structure. Information will be updated soon.
Alberta Energy and Minerals
- manages and develops policy for the development of province's energy and mineral resources
- grants industry the right to explore for and develop energy and mineral resources
- establishes, administers and monitors the effectiveness of fiscal and royalty systems
- encourages additional investment that creates jobs and economic prosperity
- advocates at home and around the world for greater market access
The department’s mission is to assure sustained prosperity in the interests of Albertans through the stewardship of energy and mineral resource systems, responsible development and wise use of energy.
- Alberta has the fourth-largest proven oil reserves in the world – 9% of total proven global oil reserves.
- Approximately 99% of these reserves are in the oil sands.
- Between 2011 and 2019, overall average oil sands emission intensity in Alberta decreased by 22%.
- With additional technology, GHG intensity can be further reduced by up to 20% by 2030.
- Canada is in the top five of natural gas producers in the world – two-thirds of which come from Alberta.
- Alberta’s abundant natural gas reserves can meet Canadian demand for the next 200 years.
The development and deployment of a hydrogen economy will leverage our competitive advantages to build clean energy solutions and develop export capacity.
Alberta has unique advantages and great potential. We have a diverse and strategic resource portfolio, with vast energy reserves.
Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (CCUS)
Companies are beginning to explore how to develop environmentally safe carbon storage hubs to reduce emissions.
Environmental Social Governance (ESG) Secretariat
Alberta’s ESG Secretariat is positioning the province to be a leader for clean, secure and ethically sourced energy.
Alberta Petrochemicals Incentive Program (APIP)
This grant program is attracting investment to Alberta’s petrochemical sector, creating jobs and helping diversify the economy.
- Sep 17, 2023
Minister of Energy and Minerals Brian Jean issued the following statement about the 24th World Petroleum Congress being held in Calgary Sept. 17-21:
- Jul 10, 2023
Premier Danielle Smith has issued a mandate letter to Minister of Energy and Minerals Brian Jean calling on him to continue to support further development of Alberta’s energy resources.
- Jun 28, 2023
Minister of Energy and Minerals Brian Jean issued the following statement on Alberta’s June energy sector update: